Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 Convert 1012 Trial to Full Version

Author  Topic 

brendanb
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-10 : 23:58:52
Hi,

I have downloaded and installed 2012 Evaluation version x64. This installs the Trial Enterprise version on SQL.

I have now hit the 120 limit and need to enter in a Key. Which I have purchased and have tried to insert the key using the Edition Upgrade steps.

However when I try and run through the process I get the following error:

"The selected edition downgrade path is not valid."

I have a license for SQL Server 2012 Standard.

It seems that there is a feature or something installed that wont let me just add the serial / key

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I could do

I have tried the following script:
SELECT * FROM sys.dm_db_persisted_sku_features

which return no records. So I presume this means it will be ok?

any thoughts?

Brendan

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-11 : 09:10:47
I assume you have looked at this page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx Based on my reading of it, you should be able to do this unless it is in a failover cluster. What is the message or notification that made you think that it is an installed feature that is preventing the upgrade?
Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-11 : 14:12:38
Just guessing here - but when you passed the trial edition time you can no longer upgrade. You need to uninstall/reinstall to get to the supported edition.

A couple of options here...

1) Install a new instance and migrate the database(s)

2) Stop SQL Server, copy system databases to secure location, uninstall
a) Once reinstalled, to same patch level - shutdown services and move copied system databases back in
b) restart SQL Server

3) Script logins, agent jobs, SSIS packages, etc...
a) Uninstall/Reinstall
b) Attach existing databases
c) Script in login, agent jobs, SSIS packages, etc...

Make sure you have good backups before you attempt either option.
Go to Top of Page

brendanb
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-11 : 19:26:17
Hi Both,

many thanks for replies. In regards to the question about the supported versions. Yes,I did see this page. We are not running a cluster just a single instance.

What I might do is based of both of your suggestions.
Create a VM and copy db's to this vm and try and install the key. Im expecting ill get the same warning message. But see what the outcome is.

I would ideally not want to re-install as its running SAP B1, which has some interesting collation settings I dont want to make an error with when setting up new SQL Server.

thanks for the suggestions
Brendan
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -