Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Other Forums
 MS Access
 Flagging duplicate data

Author  Topic 

Subarcticguy
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-11-20 : 18:34:04
I have an access database which handles GPS data from wildlife collars. The table has about 33 fields: about 25 of them are from imported datasets and the remaining fields are used for metadata and quality control such as flagging erroneous data or duplicate data.

I have been trying to write either VBA code or SQL to go through the dataset and flag duplicate records where the 25 fields are identical. Of course I want to leave one original record as unflagged.

Table Name: CollarData

Fields to test for duplicates: Collar_ID, AcquisitionTime, AcquisitionStartTime, GPSLatitude, GPSLongitude, PTT, Mortality, LowVoltage.....

Fields to Flag when duplicates Found: QAQC, QAQC_Reason

I have a decent understanding of VBA, however I do struggle with SQL syntax in access sometimes. I have been searching high and low for a solution for this but all the examples I have found only test one or two fields and I haven't be successful in expanding this to the more complicated table. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

- Advertisement -