Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Adding an instance to a failover cluster

Author  Topic 

carsten.jespersen
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2014-02-06 : 07:11:13
I'm wondering if anyone could tell me how to install MSSQL3 (Third Instance) in a two node failover cluster, running two instances. SQL Server 2012 on Server 2008R2. Cant find any info that doesn't involve installing node number three.

Br

Carsten Jespersen

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2014-02-06 : 14:35:14
It's the same procedure as the first two. Before you start, you'll need storage, virtual server name, DNS entry/IP/cluster object for said virtual server created. We create the SPN manually after the install. Your setup might be able to do it automatically.

Once you have all of the prerequisites, startup the installer and follow the prompts. The installer is a bit different from a standalone installation.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

carsten.jespersen
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-04 : 04:38:02
Thanks a million Tara. I'll try it out.

Best regards

Carsten
Go to Top of Page

carsten.jespersen
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-17 : 05:13:32
Hi again Tara.
In my two-node cluster I have just added a third instance.
I can fail over MSSQL1 and MSSQL2 between the nodes but when trying with the latest addition, MSSQL3, I get the following error:

The operation failed because either the specified cluster node is not the owner of the group, or the node is not a possible owner of the group.

Anything I might have missed?
Node 1 is the preferred owner and node 2 is set as possible owner on all resources. (Disks etc..)

Br

Carsten Jespersen
Go to Top of Page

carsten.jespersen
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-17 : 05:18:21
Sorry Tara.
Forgot to actually check owners for the server itself. It works now.
Thank you so much for the push in the right direction.

Br

Carsten

Br

Carsten Jespersen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -