Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2012)
 SSRS cube report with parameters...and more

Author  Topic 

scottcabral79
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-10 : 13:10:40
Hi,

I have created some basic SSRS reports in the past with parameters, but I was just given the following project by my manager and I would like to find out 2 things:

1. Can this be accomplished using SSRS

2. If yes, what are the High-Level steps needed to get this accomplished

First off, the SSRS report(s) will be connecting to an SSAS cube, so there will be some MDX involved. The cube is fairly simple, 1 measure group and 3 dimensions.

The main piece of this project will be 4 parameters that will be displayed to the user; Quarter, Division, Operations, and ReportList.

The Quarter is just the Quarter that the user wants to run the report for (Q1-2012, Q1-2013, etc..). This will come from the Date Dimension The Division will be a list of all of our internal divisions that we have setup in our Client Dimension table (Eastern Division, Western Division, etc...). The Operations will be list of operations for each division selected in the Division parameter (Boston Ops, NY Ops, etc...). This list will also come from the Client Dimension. The ReportList will be a list of all reports that are related to the Division and Operations Selected. For example, Eastern Division and Boston Ops could have 3 reports, Western Division and San Francisco Ops has 5 reports, etc...

The final piece to this is that when the user selects the reports to be generated, they will have to be created into 1 report. This way the user can convert the report to 1 single PDF file or print the report. So if 3 reports were selected, each report would be a separate page and could then be converted to a single PDF file or printed.

I know that SSRS has the ability to create cascading parameters, so that should take care of dynamically generating the Operations parameter drop down as well as the REportList drop down. Of course, using MDX to accomplish this will tricky since I haven't done much with MDX.

I guess my last concern is how to generated multiple reports given the parameters selected and have them be combined into 1 report? I was thinking subreports, but not sure if that would work.

Any feedback or concerns/ideas on how this can be accomplished using SSRS?

**Using SSRS 2012

thanks

Scott

- Advertisement -