Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SSIS and Import/Export (2008)
 Error: Could not create managed connection manager

Author  Topic 

rfhelp_2014
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-24 : 06:55:47
Hi all!

Background:
32 bit ODBC driver to progress database
SQL Server 2008 R2 62 bit
Trying to import data from progress DB to SQL DB

I use SQL Server Import wizard to write a query to grab data from a progress DB table into a SQL server DB table and this WORKS.

I save this import (with save all data with password option) which creates a package in SSIS under the MSDB folder. When I right click "Run Package" and "Execute" the package, it fails with message "Could not create a managed connection manager"

I have been searching for answers online and wondered whether it was a 32/64 bit issue but when I use command line to run via the 32 bit DTS, it still fails with the same message.

I have also tried amending the import to use various combinations of server or windows authentication to no avail. And also creating the package using the DTS wizard under the 32 bit folder. Same message.

Any guidance here on what else I can try would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-24 : 08:25:39
Can you try to create the package directly in BIDS instead?
Go to Top of Page

rfhelp_2014
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-24 : 08:56:05
Thanks for your reply.

I've never used BIDS before and I don't really know what it does. But I've just tried to open it and it errors reporting "Invalid license data. Reinstall required."

Could this be the reason SSIS isn't working!?
Go to Top of Page

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-25 : 07:54:40
BIDS is the full designer for SSIS packages. The Wizard you've been using generates packages by prompting you. Dunno about your license errors. However the error message seems to be a problem with the connection.

Try this: Can you create a valid ODBC DSN in Windows to your database (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Data Sources)?
Go to Top of Page

rfhelp_2014
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-05-01 : 05:49:48
Hi. Thanks!

I'm still working on getting BIDS working...

But the ODBC connection to the database is fine and the ODBC to the progress DB seems fine as well as I can import data but only through the SQL Import/Export wizard.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -