Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Log Shipping Problem

Author  Topic 

darronb1968
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2014-04-24 : 10:05:47
Hi Guys

I am a novice at this and need some help.

I have a problem with log shipping

I have 2 Window 2008 R2 servers running SQL 2008 R2, one physical machine and one VM. The primary server is the physical machine and the secondary machine is the VM

I have 3 databases I am trying to set up log shipping for. (All running under the same instance.)
• Database A
• Database B
• Database C

Database A was set up first for log shipping and this is working fine.

Database B was set up exactly the same as database A but it has an issue.

Database B will back up the log files onto the primary server, copy these logs to the Secondary server and ‘play’ these logs into the secondary server’s database once only.

After this I get the following error.
Error: The file '\\WIN-ZU6UUQW53L5\data\sec_tlogs\Database_b_20140423152008.trn' is too recent to apply to the secondary database 'Database_b'.(Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.LogShipping)
Error: The log in this backup set begins at LSN 19000000734400001<c/> which is too recent to apply to the database. An earlier log backup that includes LSN 19000000732800001 can be restored.<nl/>RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally.(.Net SqlClient Data Provider) ***"

I understand what this message is telling me in that a transaction log file may be missing.

But I have re-initialized the log shipping for Database B three times and it fails in the same place every time.

Database C has the same issue, although there is no indication in the “Transaction Log Shipping Status” that the restore has been performed, although if you look in “Log file viewer” there are no errors for Database C and all has completed successfully.

Hope you can help

Darron

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-24 : 12:09:40
It sounds like the database B's transaction log is being backed up outside of the log shipping plan. Check all jobs on the primary server, check the error log on the primary server to see the tlog backups. No tlog backups can be done outside of the log shipping plan unless they are manually applied to the secondary database.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -