Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 how can I combine horizontal and vertical partiti

Author  Topic 

Mariam Nagy
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-05-20 : 10:45:19
Hello

I want to combine horizontal and vertical partitioning because I have a huge table (huge number of records and also a big row size) .. I need to know does this combined partitioning cause any negative performance ..

Is combining between the two available in SQL server 208 R2?

Is there any live example for this combining or any video tutorial ?

Can I perform the vertical partitioning on the primary key ?

Is there any disadvantages for partitioning?

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-05-20 : 14:03:05
Horizontal "partitioning" could be considered a form of normalization. If this is an OLTP system and there's lots of repeated data (likely, with wide rows), try to normalize your data. Once normalized, you can set up views to return the original, wide rows.

Vertical partitioning is done on the clustered index. This can work well if you have the "right" CI -- that is one where newly added records fit on the logical end of the data -- often this is a timestamp or sequence number of some sort. With a good partitioning function, you can achieve your goals. You can even save real money if you can push the oldest/least-frequently-accessed data onto cheaper media (e.g. slower disks).
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -