Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 Design question map data from different sources vi

Author  Topic 

Tzwen
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2014-05-28 : 06:55:55
Hi,

I have another question about my design. I have three datasources (access, excel-files and XML from Web Services) and want to put them together into a mssql database (DBALL). Via GUI a user can update the data if he wants and he can change data as well. I have a construction question and hope I may ask that here. My idea is as follows:
Access, Excel and XML data gets imported into an Entity Framework Model (that maps the mssql database). If the user wants to update the database I gonna write the 'new' data from access, excel and XML (via DataReader) into the EF-Model which updates the database.
I have almost no experience with this topic and this is a lot of work so I dont want to go the wrong path. Would you recommend this way or are there any backdrafts?

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-03 : 12:20:24
Why write the new data from access/excel/xml etc when you have a front end application writing data?

Maybe I mis-understood, can you explain in more detail what you are trying to achieve?
Go to Top of Page

Tzwen
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-06 : 04:46:52
Hi Rick, I try to explain my problem more detailed.

Lets say I have an online/offline questionaire system. On the one hand people fill questionaires online and I can get the data from our provider via web service (they only provide rudimental select (get) functions). On the other hand we get paper questionaires and fill them into an access database. I cannot manipulate the data in there current containers (I cannot reach the database behind the web service). Access and WebService data has to be harmonized since the variables have different names (not all but a lot) in there current state.

I want to set up an sql-server and fill all the data from the two different sources into it and implement an update function to fill in new datasets (e.g. new filled questionaires). I will build an Application (written in .NET) where I can implement different Modules to create graphical/ tabulated Reports or Wordclouds and so on. For some of these reports I need to mark a dataset (questionaire) if it is used in the reports once so I need to write something into the database (some flag or whatever).

So the datastream can be described as follows: Access+WebService -> (via Datareader or own classes HARMONIZATION) -> Entity Framework -> SQL-Server -> Entity Framework -> Application

I am not sure, if this is the best way of doing it since I have no expericence.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -