Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Other SQL Server Topics (2005)
 Corrupt MSDB database

Author  Topic 

WindChaser
Posting Yak Master

225 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-03 : 23:24:56
Hi folks,

One of our clients gets the following error when trying to backup a database:

quote:
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error:
incorrect checksum (expected: 0x121db60d; actual: 0x521db60d).
It occurred during a read of page (1:1632) in database ID 4 at offset 0x00000000cc0000 in file
'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\MSDBData.mdf'.
Additional messages in the SQL Server error log or system event log may provide more detail.
This is a severe error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately.
Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB).
This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.
Could not insert a backup or restore history/detail record in the msdb database.
This may indicate a problem with the msdb database.
The backup/restore operation was still successful.

I tried to perform checkdb, checkdb repair_rebuild as well as checkdb REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS but none of these corrected the issues is the MSDB database.

My question is: can I just grab a clean MSDB database from another instance to replace the corrupt one or do I really have to uninstall/reinstall SQL Server?

Thanks!!!

elliswhitei
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-04 : 06:02:04
I think the main reason of this error occurrence is corruption in the SQL database which needs to repair first . Well this happens before backup so you need to deal with any external software.
Go to Top of Page

prett
Posting Yak Master

212 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-04 : 06:24:20
Can you please share the output of DBCC CHECKDB?
Go to Top of Page

WindChaser
Posting Yak Master

225 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-04 : 09:56:39
I can't connect remotely to the client's site right now but I'll try to post that CheckDB output later. Nevertheless, it seems irreparable. So my question remains: can I just grab a clean MSDB database from another instance to replace the corrupt one (i.e. is the MSDB generic for all instances or specific to each instance) or would it be best to just uninstall/reinstall SQL Server?
Go to Top of Page

prett
Posting Yak Master

212 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-04 : 22:50:02
I would suggest you to restore from backup. It is the best option to solve the problem.

As per your question concern, I hope someone will jump into this thread and help you.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -