Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 Keeping Track of Responses from Multiple Users

Author  Topic 

kouncillor
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2014-09-06 : 23:11:50
I have created an application in VB 2010 which enables the user to take a multiple choice test for some federal licensing exams. The questions and answers are contained in a SQLSERVER 2012 database which consists of five tables, each of which contains around two thousand questions.
In addition to the columns related to the questions, there are columns which keep track of whether the questions have been asked, answered correctly, or answered incorrectly. Some sorting and score keeping is done based on those columns. The application does everything I want it to do just fine. However, I am wanting to rewrite the application as an asp web form where I expect that there will be multiple—probably many—users.
In the desktop version, because there is only one user, I simply mark whether the questions have been correctly answered or not, directly into the same tables which contain the questions and answers.
What I would like to know is, generally speaking, what would be a good way to keep track of the correct/incorrect answers for multiple users?
My first instinct is to (1) create a separate table to keep track of all the individual users and the answers they have given, (2) have the application perform the question sorting based on the user tables and, (3) then have the application pull up the needed questions and answers from the tables containing the questions and answers.
As you can probably tell, I am new to database design and know little about best practices. I won’t need help with any specific implementations. I have done enough developing that I am confident I can learn and work through the specifics, but I have also done enough that I know to get some general advice before I waste a lot of time heading in the wrong directions.
Any general advice that experienced developers can offer me is greatly appreciated.

- Advertisement -