Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Tempdb size issues

Author  Topic 

rchetal
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2014-10-18 : 16:09:41
Hello everyone,
I have a difficult issue that I am hoping to get help on. We have a SQL 2008 R2 cluster in our environment that houses 25 databases. 2 days ago I had to reindex a database on the server. The re-indexing completed successfully. However, to my dismay I found that the tempdb file size had grown to 98 GB. Before the re-indexing, I had 150 GB free on the drive. Now my drive has an empty space of less than 10 GB. On checking the properties of the tempdb, there is more than 99 % white space in the file. I have tried to use the shrink database as well as files command from the GUI as well as the query, but to no luck. The file size is not coming down. I cannot restart the SQL server unfortunately :(. Is there any other way that I can shrink the file size down to an acceptable limit which will release the disk space on the drive.

Please help.

Regards
RC

- Advertisement -