Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Other SQL Server 2008 Topics
 Upgrading data/log files

Author  Topic 

jkrusic
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-10-28 : 15:37:18
Hello,

Background of issue:
Our SQL Server 2008 (665) instance became corrupt due to hardware issues that lead our RAID 5 to become in-consistent. Long story short, fixed the RAID and inconsistencies, along with finding out all our backups were also apart of the RAID, which were copied off to another storage area during the initialization of the RAID. I also installed fresh, SQL Server 2008 r2 (661).

Problem:
I was able to use one of the backups and actually attach it to the database, however the data/log files are inaccessible because the version of the two files are 665, and SQL is telling me that I need to upgrade the database to 661.

Error:
Cannot open database 'DBNAME' version 655. Upgrade the database to the latest version.

Question:
Is there a way to upgrade only the data/log files to the 661 specifically?

I have been searching online for resolution, but was not able to find anything similar to my situation as everything is 665 -> 661, which is not possible, or restore from known good backup (which of course I do not have.)

We are looking into obtaining an SQL data recovery tool, which might be the only solution for some of the databases that were apart of the instance.

Thank you for the feedback ahead of time.

- Advertisement -