Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 Other SQL Server 2012 Topics
 Access Front End SQL2012 record lock

Author  Topic 

Gearcam
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 11:45:39
I have now moved all our order system from an Access backend to SQL server
I use the front end from Access using forms to modify the data.
It is a multi user set up.

My problem is record locking
If two users have the same record / form open and one makes a change the other gets an error message "Write Conflict" save - copy- drop.

How can I lock the second instance of the form being opened so the second user has to wait until the first user closes the form before the second user can edit it.

With the Access backend this worked by using Record Locks and setting it to "Edited Records"

But this does not work with the SQL backend.

Any help ?

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 11:49:54
SQL Server does it with transactions.

So your app has to work like this:

1. get the data, fill in the form, wait for the user to submit changes
2. begin a transaction, confirm that the old data is unchanged since step 1, update the data, commit the transaction
2a. if the data HAS changed, issue the "Write Conflict" message.
Go to Top of Page

Gearcam
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 12:10:31
thank you for the info

So on two pc's I open the same form the data populates automatically

on PC A I make a change move to another field then move to a different record
PC B no change same old data displayed
On PC B I move away from the record then the error is thrown "Write Conflict" if I select "Drop" the data from PC A is updated

How can I implement what you suggest ?

Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 12:34:13
What part of the implementation do you need help with? We can show you how to use transactions (or you can easily learn it -- it's not rocket science!). However, this is not the forum for designing MS Access applications, if that's what you're looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Gearcam
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 13:12:07
Hi its just the transactions I need to learn to use I have never used them as Access has always worked fine.

Is there a example or can you help me with that.

I have a full blown management system which runs great except for this locking issue now since the SQL change

thanks
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 13:32:11
For filling in the form, a simple SELECT will do. For updating the form, something like (to update an existing row):

-- pass columns to check as parameters
begin tran
select ... -- same as before with added WHERE clause
WHERE @parm1 = col1, -- first column to check
AND @parm2 = col2, -- second column to check
... etc ...

IF @@ROWCOUNT = 0 -- means no matching rows found ==> something changed since first select
THROW 50000,'Write Conflict', 1;

-- update the row

COMMIT

Go to Top of Page

Gearcam
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 14:05:02
hi when the form opens as a sub form the source is like

SELECT TOP 10000 * FROM Orders Query WHERE [Job No] =something Order By ID DESC

The on the event On Current their is a lot of update code and checks etc

I do not have any button etc to save the form data just close the form
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 14:22:32
OK -- I'd change the * in your query to a specific column list. It's a best practice.

Also I guess your form is not handling one row at a time. Is that true? In that case you'll need a different strategy.

You might want to write new/updated rows to a separate table then merge those changes back into the main table when the form closes. If you set a unique id per form, you can insert that into the temp table along with the data they use that to match rows for the current form during update along with matching column values (to see if anything changed in the meantime).

It sounds like your design needs a thorough thinking-through!
Go to Top of Page

Gearcam
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 14:38:29
The main form has a load of search fields so you can search for records that meet a number of parameters so the * is changed anyway

the form shows all the fields in one record at a time that meat the search parameters then you can step through the records on the form hence the current event.

this was so easy with access backend on the form just had to set record locks set to edited records and it works

In the form as it loads I just try to set a fields with the users name if it sets then the record is not already open so set allow edits to true if it can not set user name then set allow edits to false to stop editing

Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 14:41:49
OK -- so you only update one row at a time. Then the approach I posted at 13:32 should do it for you.
Go to Top of Page

Gearcam
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 14:59:42
Ok ill see how it goes

So this code goes in the "Current" Area ?

Then reload the data direct into param from the source data base using the where clause to only look at the exact record?

So if nothing found the form and the database are different ?

Not as before with just locking the record
Is there no setting or something in SQL that can do this ie only have each record open once for editing and any others for read only ?
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 15:11:03
SQL does lock rows (and lots of other things!) but only keeps the locks for the duration of a transaction. Believe me, you don't want to begin a transaction at the start of form and commit it when the form closes. If the user goes out to lunch or leaves it open at end of day...well you get the picture!

Anyway, you've got the basic idea down. Populate the form with a simple select. At update time, begin a transaction and first compare the rows with the form data before changes were made. If no match, then someone else updated that row. If they match, do the update. Finally issue the COMMIT command to end the transaction and free any locked resources.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -