Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 Data Warehouse question

Author  Topic 

Rasta Pickles
Posting Yak Master

174 Posts

Posted - 2015-01-27 : 14:09:05
My company have started to put together a "data warehouse" for insurance based transactions.

The guy in charge has deemed that only certain transactions are to be loaded into it (online quotes taken up but then not proceeded with are to be excluded, for example).

My understanding of a data warehouse was that you load everything and then let the end user decide what they want to pick from.

If you don't include all relevant transactions then it ceases to be a data warehouse and becomes something else, doesn't it?

All comments gratefully received.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2015-01-27 : 14:10:55
quote:
Originally posted by Rasta Pickles

My understanding of a data warehouse was that you load everything and then let the end user decide what they want to pick from.

If you don't include all relevant transactions then it ceases to be a data warehouse and becomes something else, doesn't it?

I disagree. You load whatever data you want to analyze. If they don't care about certain data, then why waste resources to load it?

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

sz1
Aged Yak Warrior

555 Posts

Posted - 2015-01-28 : 04:56:40
I agree with tkizer, the hole point of DW is to have some intelligence behind it making it a usable solution for the creation of reporting needs based on the department, company and end users needs. You would create another say datamart for the online quotes as they have not been proceeded but the management team may well still want to look at these stats and understand how they fell through but this would sit within another cube for analysis. An example would be call logging where all active calls would have its own SSIS and SSAS solution and the same goes for all calls closed, these would then be reported on based on particular company needs.

We are the creators of our own reality!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -