Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Subtraction in subquery

Author  Topic 

Chasmann8
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-19 : 12:13:03
I'm very new to SQL, but I'm struggling with using a math operator in a query, and I'm not sure if I can use it the way I've tried.

Imagine a list of prices of goods for two stores. Both stores sell some of the same goods and some goods that they are the exclusive seller, but I want to see where store 2 is undercutting store 1 by exactly three dollars on the same product. I've tried this:

selcct i.store,store,i.product,product,i.price,price from Price_table
where i.store = 1
and exists (select i.store,store,i.product,product,i.price,price from Price_table

where store = 2
and product = i.product
and price = i.price - 3
)

Can I use the subraction operator to pull those prices? Thanks in advance!

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-19 : 12:28:34
that looks like valid syntax (other than a typo or two). Did you run it? Does it give you what you want?

Note that there are other ways:

select i.store,store,i.product,product,i.price,price from Price_table i
cross join Price_Table j
where i.store <> j.store
and i.product = j.product
and i.price = j.price - 3
Go to Top of Page

Chasmann8
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-19 : 12:44:48
[quote]Originally posted by gbritton

that looks like valid syntax (other than a typo or two). Did you run it? Does it give you what you want?

I'm using a very large data set, but when I ran it, it returned 70k results before I stopped it when I'm anticipating only 2 or 3k. Looking at some of the results it returned, it seems like it pulled every product with a matching product from store 2, but didn't use the subtraction operator. I'm not sure why. Good to know if can be done though. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -