Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Using SQL 2008 R2 Express on 2005 Standard

Author  Topic 

rooky79
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2015-03-30 : 22:20:00
Hi Everyone, new to the site and was hoping someone may have a solution to my problem.

I am upgrading some Lab equipment/software that requires SQL Server 2008 R2 Express SP1 or later but I cannot get the .mdf file to register on the network.

When the software is installed, if there is no SQL Server detected then it automatically installs SQL 2008 R2 Express

We have a Windows 2003 Host Server which has a virtual sqlserver set up that runs SQL Server 2005 Standard. (This is a secure network server with certain permissions for general users so they can only read and write)

According to the Admin guide, I copy and paste the Spectrum10ESDatabases.mdf to the network location and then register it with database tools.

However after registering the database, when I try to log in to the application, an error message pops up stating that either:

The Database has not been upgraded to the latest version (it has)

MS SQLServer or SQLServer Browser is not running (they are)

SQLServer does not have permission to access the database folder (I'm sure it does)

My question is, if the virtual server on the network is running SQLServer 2005 standard, does SQLServer 2008 R2 Express SP1 need to be running on that virtual server also in order for the database to attach? Is 2008 R2 backwards compatible with 2005?

Thanks in advance guys

Matt

- Advertisement -