Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Declaring table variable to have the same shape of existing user table

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2002-12-12 : 08:56:52
San writes "Is there a way to declare a table variable to have the same shape (meaning same columns and column types) of an existing user table without explicitly specifying all the column names and column types?

Eg., Say I have a table called Person with 15 columns. I want a local table variable to have the same structure as Person. I know I can do

declare @myPersonTable (col1, col1Type.....col15 col15Type).

Thanks
San"

Page47
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2878 Posts

Posted - 2002-12-12 : 10:29:19
No, but you can with temp tables....

select * into #sysdb from sysdatabase

Jay White
{0}
Go to Top of Page

M.E.
Aged Yak Warrior

539 Posts

Posted - 2002-12-12 : 10:40:50
I like using an automated script to get all that. This script will look up all the info you need from the syscolumns and systypes table

select
case when st.name = 'varchar' then sc.name + ' ' + st.name + '(' + convert(varchar(5),sc.length)+'),'
else sc.name + ' ' + st.name + ','
end
from syscolumns sc inner join systypes st on st.xtype = sc.xtype where id = object_id('resource_data_seq_administration')
order by colid

the results will be

col1 varchar(40),
col2 int,

and so on. Copy paste the result (easiest if you tell query analyzer to spit out everything into a text file) and do a couple modifcations. You'll need to remove the comma from the last line (haven't quite figured out a way to automate that)

Hope it helps... typing out column names and data types can take waaaay to long sometimes

-----------------------
SQL isn't just a hobby, It's an addiction
Go to Top of Page

ValterBorges
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1429 Posts

Posted - 2002-12-12 : 10:42:27
SELECT *
INTO #MyTempTable
FROM MyRealTable
WHERE 1=0

This will create #MyTempTable with same structure and zero records.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -