Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 SQL Server 2000 and Oracle 8i on the same server

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2002-12-20 : 08:19:49
Jeff writes "We currently have a need for both SQL Server 2000 and Oracle 8i.

Our current Oracle 8i server is a Dell 6450 with dual PIII xeon and 2 GB of RAM and plenty of disk space. The server is almost asleep. Even with our heaviest transactions, the server handles it quite well.

We need SQL Server 2000 Standard - what are the pitfalls of installing SQL Server 2000 Standard on this server with Oracle 8i?

Any thoughts you have on this subject are appreciated.

Jeff"

Onamuji
Aged Yak Warrior

504 Posts

Posted - 2002-12-20 : 08:55:35
i've never done this nor would I ever recommend it ... I would suggest giving it a try on a development server to see if there are any appearant issues...

Go to Top of Page

harshal_in
Aged Yak Warrior

633 Posts

Posted - 2002-12-20 : 08:57:56
quote:

i've never done this nor would I ever recommend it ... I would suggest giving it a try on a development server to see if there are any appearant issues...

I had tried this on a test m/c and it worked fine on a w2k machine there were no problems i faced but that was only a test machine with very small databases on it.

Expect the UnExpected
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2002-12-20 : 11:57:52
I definitely would not do it. SQL Server is a memory hog. If SQL Server thinks that it needs the memory, then it will take it and won't release until another application needs it AND it no longer needs it. Neither Oracle nor Microsoft recommends this approach. I bet that if you ran into a problem and called either company for tech support that they would blame it on the other program.

Go to Top of Page

jasper_smith
SQL Server MVP & SQLTeam MVY

846 Posts

Posted - 2002-12-20 : 12:33:45
I would advise against this in a production environment. Having said that I ran Oracle 8,Sybase ASE 12,SQL7 and SQL2000 on a test server for over a year and never had any problems with it (memory was fixed for all). From a support point of view (both internal and vendor) it would be a nightmare though, I'd strongly advise a second server dedicated to SQL2000.

HTH
Jasper Smith
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -