Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 The Use of Nulls

Author  Topic 

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2003-06-17 : 17:54:30
This is a design question.

Let say I have an INT field in a table called PagesToPrint. Sometimes, users will want a finite number of pages, other times they want "all". There's no way for me to calculate how many pages "all" is, so I was thinking of using NULL to indicate "all"

That would give me values like:
NULL

Does using Null in this way make sense? Is it a valid technique? Is there a better way? I do this sort of thing quite often, and I always feel like it's a "hack" or something.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Michael

<Yoda>Use the Search page you must. Find the answer you will.</Yoda>

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2003-06-17 : 19:00:24
It's not a hack IMHO, but you can still use some other replacement value if you want. Something like 1,000,000 would work too, if anyone actually needs to print more than 1 million pages they messed up anyway. That way you don't have to add any particular logic to work around the null.

Go to Top of Page

byrmol
Shed Building SQL Farmer

1591 Posts

Posted - 2003-06-17 : 19:14:55
Michael,

Because I really dislike NULLs, I would go with a value as Rob suggested. I would have thought -1 would be a good candidate...
And another thing why a INT? Surely a SMALLINT would do nicely..

Whatever you choose.. document it!

DavidM

"SQL-3 is an abomination.."
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2003-06-17 : 19:18:58
quote:
I would have thought -1 would be a good candidate...
Yeah, I thought of that too

I guess if two people come up with the same idea independently, then it's probably a good idea....

....or they're psychic somehow.

Go to Top of Page

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2003-06-17 : 19:46:08
You never know when you have that 2 billion page report!!!

Actually, this was just an example of what I'm trying to do. I think I like -1 and a SmallInt field.

Thanks all!!

Michael

<Yoda>Use the Search page you must. Find the answer you will.</Yoda>
Go to Top of Page

byrmol
Shed Building SQL Farmer

1591 Posts

Posted - 2003-06-17 : 19:50:55
Rob,

I used -1 so that it would be in the range of the smallint! And quite frankly I see users "mess up" all the time and I can imagine the toner bill after a few of those stuff up ;-)

DavidM

"SQL-3 is an abomination.."
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -