Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 sql server full text search

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-26 : 07:21:16
krishna writes "hai

i am having a column containing path of word docs in "abc" database in sql server 2000 on win 2000 professional .had created full text search index on this column.
whether it will be possible for me to search the contents of the corresponding documents whose path is defined in the column??

it will be really greatfull if anybody can provide the solution.

krishna."

raymondpeacock
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

367 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-26 : 07:34:04
You could only search the contents of the documents if you had uploaded them into your full text searched column, not the paths of the files.

Raymond
Go to Top of Page

mohdowais
Sheikh of Yak Knowledge

1456 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-26 : 08:13:52
Actually you can, using the MS Indexing Service provider. You could set up the Index Server as a linked server and run queries against document indexes. Performance is not great, but beats having to store all those documents inside tables. See the section "Full-text querying of File data" in the Books Online.

OS
Go to Top of Page

raymondpeacock
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

367 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-26 : 08:18:09
Many apologies, I'll have to read that section myself!

Raymond
Go to Top of Page

mohdowais
Sheikh of Yak Knowledge

1456 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-26 : 08:27:33
I wouldn't blame you, documentation is rather scant, and it isn't really easy to setup and get going. I've had little success setting this up when the file server and the database server are two different machines. The fact is that the SQL Server Full Text Indexing service uses the "Microsoft Search" engine, the same one used by MS Index server as well. And joining the Index server results back to database tables can be quite slow particularly if you must use the filename as the join predicate.

OS
Go to Top of Page

monkeybite
Posting Yak Master

152 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-26 : 10:34:16
quote:
Originally posted by mohdowais

I wouldn't blame you, documentation is rather scant, and it isn't really easy to setup and get going. I've had little success setting this up when the file server and the database server are two different machines. The fact is that the SQL Server Full Text Indexing service uses the "Microsoft Search" engine, the same one used by MS Index server as well. And joining the Index server results back to database tables can be quite slow particularly if you must use the filename as the join predicate.

OS

I didn't have much success either when Index Server and SQL were on different boxes. To get it to work, I ended up creating a function in a COM dll that queried index server and returned a list of document names (all of which were unique), then pushed that list into a SPROC for futher processing. it certainly wasnt elegant or speedy, but it got the job done. it wouldn't be an appropriate method for a high-volume search.

~ monkey
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -