Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Development Tools
 Other Development Tools
 trusted SQL Server connection PROBLEM

Author  Topic 

vacation jimmy
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2004-03-01 : 17:20:12
Please be warned that I have read just about every single post on every website I can find and read all of the MS KB articles about the "Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection" problems - nobody has encountered my exact problem. So please read my entire post before responding with a suggestion as I may have already tried it.

Am trying to migrate from a single W2k server running IIS & SQL2K to two seperate servers - W2K w/ IIS and W2003 w/SQL2K. Everything functions fine on the single system. These are the permissions I have setup on the single system.

IIS - Windows Authentication (no anonymous access)
NTFS - Local NT Group
ODBC - No SQL Login
SQL - Local NT Group

Since this is on our corporate intranet, all user systems are setup to pass their authentication right through IE. Anyone who is in the NT Local Group gets in to the webpages, and has appropriate access to the database.

I cannot get this to work correctly on the new servers. My goal is to have it work the same, so we use either NT Local Groups (duplicated on each server) or use NT Domain Global Groups.

I have set this up the exact same way, and reconfigured it several different ways as well. Right now, I am now longer using the ODBC connection & DSN reference. I instead changed my web person's connection string to the following:

"Driver={SQL Server};SERVER=<servername>;TRUSTED_CONNECTION=YES;DATABASE=<dbname>"

I have also run this with "OLEDB" and ="integrated security=SSPI;persist security info=False" instead.

I have checked everything over and over again. Here what is stumping me:

My domain account is in both servers' Administrators groups. And when I try to connect to the web page from my laptop I get the error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E4D)
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

When I logon as the local administrator to the IIS server, I get an access denied error - which is what I should get. But when I logon as myself to the IIS server, it works AND my laptop will work for about 15-20 minutes (i didn't time it, I am estimating).

My hunch is that this is related to impersonation or something similar. I already checked the security policies on both computers... they look fine.

Any ideas?

vacation jimmy
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2004-03-02 : 16:48:13
I found the answer. This cannot be done the way it was working on one single system (without having Kerberos token forwarding capabilities).

If anyone else encounters this, please read: MS KB Article 176377

The only option is to use Basic Authentication in IIS which requires the users to re-enter their domain ID/PW.
Go to Top of Page

Sitka
Aged Yak Warrior

571 Posts

Posted - 2004-03-02 : 17:21:56
Your KB article refers to the wrong version of IIS.
http://www.asp.net/faq/AspNetAndIIS6.aspx
search article for IIS_WPG

It is a rich creamy color with a high fat content of 5-7 percent. Being so high in fat, it is usually processed into butter, cheese, or yogurt. An average cow will produce 110 kg. Milk in a lactation period of an average of 149 days
Go to Top of Page

vacation jimmy
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2004-03-04 : 21:22:21
Stop trying to confuse! My IIS is 5.0 on the Win2k system, the article was for versions 3,4,&5.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q176377

But I will check out your link and search as you advise to see if there is a workaround. But I don't want to upgrade the IIS server at this point if I need 6.0.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -