Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Image Data Type

Author  Topic 

Krb_iiaba
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-13 : 13:59:22
I have a db that I am trying to setup replication for. A table in this particular db has a field with an image data type (trust me, I didn't design the schema for this db [i would store images outside of my db]). The developer who did design the db schema changed the default length for the image type from 16 to 32 (so that he could store larger files... go figure) When I configure the subscription for replication, it continuously errors out because the lengths on the image data type don't match (32 on live server, and 16 on the replication subscription server). I have run the sp to change the length from 16 to 32 on the subscription server but it keeps changing back after a couple of minutes. Am I going crazy or just missing something? Perhaps run_values vs. config_values? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

clarkbaker1964
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

428 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-13 : 17:42:25
Redesign the app to remove the use of this field type and use a varchar to store the location of the image on upload. Use this problem to push proper db design.

Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-13 : 20:46:25
quote:
The developer who did design the db schema changed the default length for the image type from 16 to 32 (so that he could store larger files... go figure)
That's a good trick, considering a) I don't see how he could, it's a system level setting; b) the 16 bytes represent a pointer, not actual length; c) changing it would either accomplish nothing or completely crash the server; and d) if that idiot needed to store more than 2 GB INSIDE A DATABASE COLUMN, he needs to be sterilized or killed so that his genes cannot contaminate the human race.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -