Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 union

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-15 : 07:06:44
Marc writes "Dear sir,

when i run this query it takes about 14 seconds

-----------
-- 1 --
select cpycod as klantnr, ranking from slwCust
where slw1 in ('reisbureau' , 'aalst') and (len(slw2) = 0 or slw2 is null) and (len(slw3) = 0 or slw3 is null)
and (len(slw4) = 0
or slw4 is null) union select cpycod as klantnr, ranking from slwCust where slw1 in ('reisbureau' , 'aalst')
and slw2 in ('reisbureau' , 'aalst') and (len(slw3) = 0 or slw3 is null) and (len(slw4) = 0 or slw4 is null)

union
-- 2 --
select distinct cpycod as klantnr, ranking from slwCust where slw1 in ('reisbureau' , 'aalst')
and slw2 in ('reisbureau' , 'aalst')
and slw3 in ('reisbureau' , 'aalst') and (len(slw4) = 0 or slw4 is null) union select cpycod as klantnr, ranking
from slwCust
where slw1 in ('reisbureau' , 'aalst') and slw2 in ('reisbureau' , 'aalst') and slw3 in ('reisbureau' , 'aalst')
and slw4 in ('reisbureau' , 'aalst')
union
-- 3 --
SELECT distinct woord1.cpycod as 'klantnr', sum(woord1.ranking) as 'ranking' from (
select distinct cpycod, ranking from bigtabel where omschrijving like 'reisbureau%' ) woord1 ,
(select distinct cpycod, ranking from bigtabel where omschrijving like 'aalst%') woord2
where woord1.cpycod = woord2.cpycod
group by woord1.cpycod
------------------------

When i only union 1 and 2 it works in less than 1 second.

When i run 3 separatly it takes les than 1 second.

slwcust: aprox 100.000 recors
bigtabel: approx 19.000.000 records (index om omschrijving)

do you have anny idea to help me please?
thanks a lot"

Seventhnight
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-15 : 08:07:54
do you care if you have duplicates? if not try 'Union All'...

If this is a ranking sproc, why do you need the 3 queries like that? Is there not anyway to use case statements and combine at least the first 2?

Corey

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -