Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 About licensing

Author  Topic 

kfkenneth2001
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-14 : 03:08:36
I have developed a application for 2 companies which use MSDE in the backend. The clients request for an installation package recently, can I include MSDE2000 or later SQL Express in my setup package?
Thanks.

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-14 : 13:55:25
If you're asking strictly from a licensing perspective, then the issue would be yes. Also, what do you mean by MSDE2000 as opposed to MSDE? What version of MSDE are you using now?

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

kfkenneth2001
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-17 : 23:55:16
Does the version of MSDE affect the license? I only want to refer to the MSDE having the same engine with SQL Server 2000.
Is there any registration I need to make as I am going to distribute database engine.
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-18 : 00:07:32
you can bundle MSDE with your app without worrying about any licensing issues. keep in mind that MSDE has some limitations:

1. Limited to 2GB database size
2. Limited to 2GB RAM
3. Workload governor
4. lacking most SQL client tools (no EM, QA, books online, profiler etc.)

there are more limitations, but these are the major ones that I can think of.

There are 3 versions of MSDE so far, MSDE 1.0 (which was based upon SQL 7.0), MSDE 2000 (which is based on the SQL 2000 codebase) and SQL Express (based on SQL 2005).

SQL Express is a little more limited than MSDE 2000 in some ways, and more capabable in other ways. Microsoft switched things up a bit just to keep us on our toes.

1. Limited to 1 CPU
2. Limited to 1 GB buffer cache
3. 4GB database size
4. no workload governor
5. No SQL server agent (no scheduler)
6. GUI management tools are now included (Express Manager)

Again, there are more differences and limitations, but these are the ones that come to mind.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

kfkenneth2001
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-18 : 00:31:05
Thanks a lot! I got much less worry about the license now.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -