SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 Question of the week
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JustinBigelow
SQL Gigolo

USA
1157 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2001 :  11:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey graz,

I liked the running sum article that went up today (thanks Garth for taking the time to write it). Whenever I see something like that I try and come up with a solution first and then see how my answer (if I get one) differs from the author's in an attempt to increase my knowledge. Have you considered adding a weekly/mothnly/whatever quiz where you post a problem and desired result and let people post possible solutions? I think it would be a good way to start discussions and get different perspectives on how to solve problems.

Just a thought,
Justin
PS - this site kicks arse

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

USA
4137 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2001 :  15:21:40  Show Profile  Visit graz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually I have thought about something like that. I almost did it once. Would anyone else be interested in something like this? The only downside is that some poor soul would have to wait a week until I posted all the answers.

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

izaltsman
A custom title

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2001 :  16:06:12  Show Profile  Send izaltsman an AOL message  Send izaltsman an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
graz,

I think Justin's idea is great!
Especially if you and/or other SQL experts here would not mind commenting on merits/drawbacks of the most popular solutions.

Thanks!!!

Ilya

BTW, there's one more thing I agree with Justin on -- this site kicks ass!!!

Go to Top of Page

rpaller
Posting Yak Master

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2001 :  10:48:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Graz,

I think a quiz would be an excellent idea.

Regards,
Rob

Go to Top of Page

shsmonteiro
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

Brazil
290 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2001 :  21:05:03  Show Profile  Send shsmonteiro an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
graz,

Start it right now, man! That's a great opp to learn and to share knowledge (sic) and start new Disc.

Sérgio

Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

USA
4137 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2001 :  22:50:58  Show Profile  Visit graz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So how do the mechanics of this work? Do I just post the question and then let everyone respond? Do I write it up as an article? Unfortunately article comments aren't in the "real" forums yet although this might just be the kick in the pants I need to get that done :) Should I have people email me their answers and then post them all at once?

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

JustinBigelow
SQL Gigolo

USA
1157 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2001 :  23:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

So how do the mechanics of this work? Do I just post the question and then let everyone respond? Do I write it up as an article? Unfortunately article comments aren't in the "real" forums yet although this might just be the kick in the pants I need to get that done :) Should I have people email me their answers and then post them all at once?

How about one of the following:

1. Make the article comments a new section of the forum. I posted what might look like a typical response as a comment to the "running sum article" but it doesn't get the kind of attention that the forums get.

2. The simplest way would be to start a new thread, probably in the developer forum (or create a dedicated forum for it), with a problem and desired output. This would be the easiest on you obviously.

3. (And the most work for you) Would be a section dedicated to a question of the week type format. It would contain the QOW soliciting responses from us. It would also show last week's question with X number of correct answers (and if you are feeling really frisky you could do time tests of the submissions you intend to post so we could see how they compare to one another). Finally this would have a forum for discussion much like the poll results forum.

My ideas range from simple to pain-in-the-ass to implement and as I said they are just ideas. I spend as much time as possible on this site dodging real work and management so even if you don't do it at all it won't change much, it's just a thought. Hell, I'm grateful enough there are people on this site to answer my questions and come up with articles!

Justin

Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

Australia
4970 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2001 :  23:22:32  Show Profile  Visit Merkin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perhaps post it in the forums (we are all comfortable with using them, replies/quotes etc) and maybe a link on the front page to that thread.

My 2c

Damian
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

USA
15653 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2001 :  20:27:46  Show Profile  Visit robvolk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey graz, I have a solution to your question you e-mailed. If you want, I'll post it here, otherwise I'll e-mail it to you.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000