SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ
 
Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Twit List
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 88

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

Sweden
30281 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  14:27:21  Show Profile  Visit SwePeso's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't think so. If he had, he should have known what what wrong with the import and should not have to drop the constraints.
On the other hand, there is a topic about being a female DBA.



E 12°55'05.25"
N 56°04'39.16"
Go to Top of Page

tosscrosby
Aged Yak Warrior

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  14:40:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Careful Peso.....lots of women in our field (I love female DBAs. Many competent ones out there! Take a look at the "twits" posted here, I know the men out number the ladies!). Here's my inclusion..http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=101200

"I need it urgent"....sounds like a personal problem ;-)

Terry
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

USA
7020 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  14:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tosscrosby

Careful Peso.....lots of women in our field (I love female DBAs. Many competent ones out there! Take a look at the "twits" posted here, I know the men out number the ladies!). Here's my inclusion..http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=101200

"I need it urgent"....sounds like a personal problem ;-)

Terry



I loved this one; can't understand why it isn't working:
delete from sp_who2 where status='sleeping'




CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

Sweden
30281 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  14:48:14  Show Profile  Visit SwePeso's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tosscrosby

Careful Peso.....lots of women in our field

See http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?whichpage=-1&TOPIC_ID=69568&REPLY_ID=299046


E 12°55'05.25"
N 56°04'39.16"

Edited by - SwePeso on 04/23/2008 14:49:36
Go to Top of Page

tosscrosby
Aged Yak Warrior

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  14:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes you wonder which rock these folks crawled out from under????

Terry
Go to Top of Page

cat_jesus
Aged Yak Warrior

547 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  15:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's so funny. I went to peruse sqlmag real quick before a meeting and look what I find. It's our old buddy!

http://sqlforums.windowsitpro.com/web/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=61&threadid=89302&enterthread=y
Go to Top of Page

tosscrosby
Aged Yak Warrior

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  15:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Database, Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Architect....How do you obtain these credentials? I've been doing these forever...maybe it's time for a raise (as I'm only a lowly DBA)!!! By the way Cat, loved your response....http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=101272
Flipping amazing........I guess if we can't laugh at each other, we're in serious trouble....

-edit - Whoo-hoo SQLUSA to the rescue! You da' man!

Terry

Edited by - tosscrosby on 04/23/2008 15:43:09
Go to Top of Page

cat_jesus
Aged Yak Warrior

547 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  16:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have actually found tables with indexes for every column on a database that the other dba has forbidden me to look at. He's very territorial and this prod machine is his baby and it has more problems than any other server in the company(and it's the newest, with the most RAM, CPUs and Storage). I was recently granted rights to the server in question and curiosity overwhelmed me and I took a peek. Most of the tables use 3 times the storage in indexes than they do in data. There isn't a single instance of a covering index that I could find. I found clustered indexes on tables with the another index on the same column defined as a non clustered index. And of course the one index per column "rule".

He actually told me he couldn't run profiler to tell what the problem was with the server during business hours because it would bring the server to its knees. So he was going to run profiler while it wasn't under load to determine the problem.

It's a horror show, but it makes for good humor.

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
37296 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  16:39:13  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He's right that SQL Profiler could bring the servers to its knees. This is why it is highly recommended to trace your data to a file rather than to a SQL table. I've seriously impacted production when I've saved it to a table. That's when I started doing research on SQL Profiler performance on found the recommendation on MS' site.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

tosscrosby
Aged Yak Warrior

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  16:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have to laugh about it otherwise it'd make you cry. I'm lucky in that I started my job about 12 weeks ago. They look to me for suggestions and we actually implement some of them. Quite the opposite of what I had become accustomed to (used to be reactive as opposed to proactive). I'm very territorial as well (my data, my database, my job) but always open to suggestions. I can understand profiler bringing the system to it's knees but when's the best time to run it? Ah, after the fact..."all looks good boss, no problems here". Three times the storage on indexes, gotta love that too, especially during peak processing times. And duplicate indexes...your users have to be going NUTS (one day they're going to grab him by the short hairs)! Glad to see you can find some joy in the situtation! Where would we be without a sense of humor?

Terry
Go to Top of Page

cat_jesus
Aged Yak Warrior

547 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  17:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tara,
I usually trace into a table on my local sandbox. How does that compare to putting it into a file on the server?

Terry,
His user base is pretty frustrated with him now. Upper management has actually questioned his usefullness in a meeting with a large number of people with a nice cross section of the company ... in front of our director.

What saves him most of the time is his ability to baffle people with BS. If he doesn't know the answer, he makes something up and says it with authority. Later, when I do the research and gently let him know he was wrong, he never corrects himself to the developers. I've never heard that man say, "I was wrong" or "I made a mistake".

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
37296 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  17:14:47  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even saving the trace to a table on another server is badly affecting performance. Always trace to a file.

You can easily query a file just like a table while the trace is running and you can even save a file to a table after the trace is done.

Check this for more information: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms979207.aspx

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Edited by - tkizer on 04/23/2008 17:15:26
Go to Top of Page

Haywood
Posting Yak Master

USA
221 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  17:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cat_jesus
What saves him most of the time is his ability to baffle people with BS. If he doesn't know the answer, he makes something up and says it with authority. Later, when I do the research and gently let him know he was wrong, he never corrects himself to the developers. I've never heard that man say, "I was wrong" or "I made a mistake".



Sounds like several people I've had the (dis)pleasure of working with.

One insisted that every column in the table be indexed (indvidually, of course) and that his GUID PK's always had to be clustered. He left us "idiots" to go work for IBM...sigh.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

USA
7020 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  18:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cat_jesus

Tara,
I usually trace into a table on my local sandbox. How does that compare to putting it into a file on the server?

Terry,
His user base is pretty frustrated with him now. Upper management has actually questioned his usefullness in a meeting with a large number of people with a nice cross section of the company ... in front of our director.

What saves him most of the time is his ability to baffle people with BS. If he doesn't know the answer, he makes something up and says it with authority. Later, when I do the research and gently let him know he was wrong, he never corrects himself to the developers. I've never heard that man say, "I was wrong" or "I made a mistake".





You should watch out. He may try to find a way to blame you for all the problems.



CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

cat_jesus
Aged Yak Warrior

547 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  19:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tara,
Thanks for the information. I will change my tracing ways. :)

Michael,
You don't know how right you are. This guys dumps on anyone who leaves. I'm certain that if I leave before he does, every single production problem will be all my fault. He doesn't dare do that now because I save his ass all the time and don't make a big deal of it. I hope that in time he will see that it's better to try hard, learn and admit when you screw up than to behave the way he does. I am told this is a foolish hope, but I am an optimist that way.
Go to Top of Page

jezemine
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  00:41:15  Show Profile  Visit jezemine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cat_jesus

I have actually found tables with indexes for every column on a database that the other dba has forbidden me to look at. He's very territorial and this prod machine is his baby and it has more problems than any other server in the company(and it's the newest, with the most RAM, CPUs and Storage). I was recently granted rights to the server in question and curiosity overwhelmed me and I took a peek. Most of the tables use 3 times the storage in indexes than they do in data. There isn't a single instance of a covering index that I could find. I found clustered indexes on tables with the another index on the same column defined as a non clustered index. And of course the one index per column "rule".

He actually told me he couldn't run profiler to tell what the problem was with the server during business hours because it would bring the server to its knees. So he was going to run profiler while it wasn't under load to determine the problem.

It's a horror show, but it makes for good humor.



actually you should have TWO indexes per column. one asc, the other desc.


elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

elancaster
A very urgent SQL Yakette

United Kingdom
1208 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  08:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
every now and then someone comes along who seems to post all over the place with replies that are at best a copy of someone else's reply, or completley irelevant to the original question, or just plain wrong.

watch this space...
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=36812

Em
Go to Top of Page

jezemine
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  20:46:55  Show Profile  Visit jezemine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
funkeketwit

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=101702




elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

USA
7020 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  21:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jezemine

funkeketwit

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=101702




elsasoft.org



First member of the Twit Hall of Fame.





CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

Sweden
30281 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  02:58:05  Show Profile  Visit SwePeso's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OBINNA_EKE

Well It looks like no real help is coming
Thanks everybody for your help (80%)
I will just figure out the remaining 20% quite new to SQL 2000 thou


quote:
Originally posted by Michael Valentine Jones

I’m really sorry that SQLTeam was unable to respond to your question with the proper sense of urgency and seriousness. I hope having to do 20% of your work was not too inconvenient. We treasure your questions, and hope we will be able to serve you satisfactorily in the future. Best regards.


Hilarious!



E 12°55'05.25"
N 56°04'39.16"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 88 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000