Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Server Roles

Author  Topic 

NickyJ
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-30 : 12:05:31
I've registered a server through EM using the SA login, now when I go to view Server Roles none of the fixed server roles are visible as in sysadmin etc. Also I am unable to add a new login or go to properties of an existing login, as if the SA login has lost its sysadmin rights ??

Any advice greatly appreciated

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-30 : 13:12:43
Double check registration properties. Did you see sa in logins?
Go to Top of Page

NickyJ
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-01 : 05:21:15
Yes SA login is there, though when I go to Properties I only see General Tab and no SErver ROles or Database Access tabs ??
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-01 : 10:25:48
If you see SA instead of sa, may have problem. Try logon using id with sysadmin rights to double check.
Go to Top of Page

NickyJ
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-03 : 07:02:45
sa is there, sorry should have pointed out the no capitals, however New Login option is greyed out and also if I register the box under my domain account which is anm admin account then again I have no admin rights, however if I log on via Query Analyser as sa or my domain account then I do have admin rights and can add users, so it's just through EM that the permissions appear wrong and all server roles are NOT visible...
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-03 : 09:04:31
Is it on client machine or on the server? Tried em from other sql client machines? If works on other machines, just reinstall sql client then apply sp.
Go to Top of Page

NickyJ
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-03 : 09:56:58
Worryingly it's on all clients and on the server, I'm thinking restore Master DB ??
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-03 : 13:05:59
No, it's not master db issue. Try reinstall sql client first and apply same sp as server has.
Go to Top of Page

NickyJ
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-15 : 06:58:07
Did re-install client and still experienced the same issue. Have looked into this more and have now discovered that many of the master system tables are empty ?? spt_values is empty and believe this is used to link with sysxlogins table to return role permissions, hence why I feel a master restore may be necessary. Any advice appreciated
Go to Top of Page

NickyJ
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-15 : 09:15:33
I have re-populated the spt_values table by runbning the u_tables.sql script from SP4 and now my fixed server roles are visible again. My question is though is there a way I can re-populate the other system tables for example spt_provider_types and the others or is the only way via rebuilding the Master database then restoring a master backup from before my problems started so as logins are added.

Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-15 : 13:10:30
I'll go with restoring master db from good backup.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -