Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Odd issues after SQL migration / rename

Author  Topic 

KingClifton
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2008-03-11 : 23:10:36
Having some very odd issues with SQL Server 2000.

Customer wishes to move from SQL2000 on W2K to a fresh server build (W2K3) and retain same server name for app licencsing.

I followed MS KB 314546 using the Copy Database Wizard. All appears to work fine, and initial testing was fine. Following that, I renamed the original server from SERVER to SERVER-OLD and the destination server from SERVER-NEW to SERVER, then ran the sp_drop_server scripts to update the SQL internal server name. All still good.

Client ODBC connections are the same, as they should be, because the ultimate isn't changed.

What I find now is that once I run my application (a Uniface-based LIS system) the DSN has changed from SERVER to SERVER-OLD.

This has happened twice - a previous attempt (using detach/copy/attach etc) had the same symptoms (although in that case, the DSN changed from SERVER to SERVER-NEW.

Is there any way something in SQL Server could be causing this? I need to narrow this down and if necessary ask the right questions of the app vendor (who hasn't been able to provide any real documentation for moving their app to a new server).

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-11 : 23:19:04
Nothing to do with sql, ensure the app doesn't cache server name anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -