Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Spotlight from Quest - unbiased feedback anyone?

Author  Topic 

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-02 : 09:27:33
I've been having Spotlight from Quest Software in the back of my mind for quite some time now, and now I just started in a new job where something like this could prove to be really handy. And from the looks of it it seems to be quite impressive but have any of you guys used it? What do you think?

--
Lumbago
"SELECT Rum, Coke, Lime, Ice FROM bar WHERE ClosingTime = 'Late' AND FemaleMaleRatio > 4"

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-02 : 23:11:00
One thing I don't like is it puts db on monitored server. Take look at Idera's SQLDm and figure out which one works for you.
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-03 : 04:57:31
Hm, thanx...will have a look at it. Have you used it professionally?

--
Lumbago
"SELECT Rum, Coke, Lime, Ice FROM bar WHERE ClosingTime = 'Late' AND FemaleMaleRatio > 4"
Go to Top of Page

tosscrosby
Aged Yak Warrior

676 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-03 : 13:49:58
I used spotlight at my last company. One of our employees used Spolight on Oracle for a few years and highly recommended it for SQL. I thought it was a great tool, everything in nice, tight visual displays. It showed us a couple of problems we were having pretty quickly (memory constraints being the most obvious, locks, blocking). It's like perfmon and profiler combined. We had the quest database on a dev/test server and monitored all production servers with that setup. I'm working at a smaller site and I've asked that money be budgeted for me to get this next year. Thanks for he mention of the Idera tool, I'll have a look at that as well before we buy!

Terry
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-03 : 22:51:20
I used both. Idera's tool doesn't create anything on monitored server, that's what we like. And it costs much less.
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-04 : 02:30:28
Allright, excellent feedback fellas...will definetly consider both!

--
Lumbago
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -