Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Memory settings for 64bit SQL Enterprise

Author  Topic 

djdanrt
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-04 : 10:37:43
I have SQL 2005 Enterprise 64bit SP2 on windows 2003 EE 64bit SP2 w/24gig memory. My problem is that it wont use more than 110mb of memory according to task manager processes and performance. I've tried messing with the min and max and rebooting each time I make the change and sill nothing. Currently Ive changed it back to default. The server shows up as 24gig so it is seeing the memory. Any ideas? I thought 64bit was supposed to be better about this kind of thing.

Also, AWE has always been unchecked as this is a 64bit box.

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-04 : 10:52:28
64-bit(EE)SQL server platform will give maximum OS system memory.
Go to Top of Page

djdanrt
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-04 : 10:55:24
quote:
Originally posted by sodeep

64-bit(EE)SQL server platform will give maximum OS system memory.

Yes thats why we bought it, But it doesnt seem to work hence my post.
Go to Top of Page

djdanrt
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-05 : 10:31:46
Anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Ola Hallengren
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-05 : 10:47:16
Is it X64 or IA64 versions of Windows and SQL Server?

What about [Available Bytes] memory in Task Manager?

Ola Hallengren
http://ola.hallengren.com

Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-05 : 22:27:32
Double check sql server memory usage in perfmon. By the way, set max memory to 20gb since 64-bit OS needs 4gb memory itself.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-05 : 22:35:22
what service packs are you running?

what does perfmon sql memory\total system memory and target system memory say?

what is your buffer cache hit ratio?

-ec
Go to Top of Page

djdanrt
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-10 : 09:03:37
quote:
Originally posted by eyechart

-ec

Why check all of those if its obvious its not using the memory via task manager? Or you saying that info can be wrong? I feel like ive missed some simple step on setting this up. My other 32bit SQL is using it and IT SHOWS via the task man! I understand the inportance of perm mon but not on something that isnt even trying to use any part of the 24gig installed. I thought 64 bit SQL would BAM use all the memory it could. Perhaps there are some SQL commands I need to do for it to utilize the 24gig.

2003EE 64bit SP2, SQL EE 64bit SP2
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-10 : 09:24:23
quote:
Originally posted by djdanrt

quote:

-ec

Why check all of those if its obvious its not using the memory via task manager? Or you saying that info can be wrong? I feel like ive missed some simple step on setting this up. My other 32bit SQL is using it and IT SHOWS via the task man! I understand the inportance of perm mon but not on something that isnt even trying to use any part of the 24gig installed. I thought 64 bit SQL would BAM use all the memory it could. Perhaps there are some SQL commands I need to do for it to utilize the 24gig.

If you don't want to answer simple questions from people trying to help you, why are you posting here?

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

sodeep

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-10 : 09:25:37
Double Check counters in Performance monitor for Memory. Enterprise edition should be good in allocating memory.
Go to Top of Page

djdanrt
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-10 : 09:44:48
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Valentine Jones

quote:
Originally posted by djdanrt

quote:

-ec

If you don't want to answer simple questions from people trying to help you, why are you posting here?

CODO ERGO SUM

Look dont be rude, im not trying to be argumentative Im simply trying to understand this frustrating thing first.

Why does SQL show its not using memory via task manager?

Im not a SQL pro so understanding that this might be an acceptable thing for a SQL server to do will help me understand it better.
Go to Top of Page

sodeep

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-10 : 09:49:16
Thats why People over here are saying check with performance counters for Memory.Did you understand? You will get your answer only if you answer whatever is being asked?
Go to Top of Page

djdanrt
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-10 : 10:15:15
quote:
Originally posted by sodeep

Thats why People over here are saying check with performance counters for Memory.Did you understand? You will get your answer only if you answer whatever is being asked?

NO I guess I didnt understand hence my post. I thought the post were obvious that according to you I cant see the forest through the trees. My question and part of my orginal post if you would care to look up is that task man is showing around 110mb for sql. If someone could tell me if task man could be displaying incorrect info for sql memory I would really appreceate it.

I'll get those results for perform mon and post but im almost positive they are going to tell me what I already know, that the sql isnt using any substatial part of that.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-10 : 11:12:42
make sure that AWE memory is not configured for SQL Server. It is not needed when running 64bits.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

TRACEYSQL
Aged Yak Warrior

594 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-10 : 13:30:09
If 64 Bit and enterprise make sure you lock pages in memory.

How to: Enable the Lock Pages in Memory Option (Windows)
Updated: 14 April 2006
The Windows policy Lock Pages in Memory option is disabled by default. This privilege must be enabled to configure Address Windowing Extensions (AWE). This policy determines which accounts can use a process to keep data in physical memory, preventing the system from paging the data to virtual memory on disk. On 32-bit operating systems, setting this privilege when not using AWE can significantly impair system performance. Although not required, we recommend locking pages in memory when using 64-bit operating systems.
Use the Windows Group Policy tool (gpedit.msc) to enable this policy for the account used by SQL Server 2005 Database Engine. You must be a system administrator to change this policy.
For a table that lists the maximum server memory values, see Memory Architecture.
To enable the lock pages in memory option
1. On the Start menu, click Run. In the Open box, type gpedit.msc.
The Group Policy dialog box opens.
2. On the Group Policy console, expand Computer Configuration, and then expand Windows Settings.
3. Expand Security Settings, and then expand Local Policies.
4. Select the User Rights Assignment folder.
The policies will be displayed in the details pane.
5. In the pane, double-click Lock pages in memory.
6. In the Local Security Policy Setting dialog box, click Add.
7. In the Select Users or Groups dialog box, add an account with privileges to run sqlservr.exe.

Make sure you set MIN memory i got mine set to 8196 and make sure the MAX Memory is set too...(i have 64 gig ram so put in 51260 for 51 GIG).

Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-10 : 22:59:39
>> Why does SQL show its not using memory via task manager?

When sql uses more than 2gb memory, task manager only shows memory used by sqlservr.exe program only. You have to look at perfmon to find out much memory used by sql engine.
Go to Top of Page

djdanrt
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-11 : 05:18:03
quote:
Originally posted by rmiao

>> Why does SQL show its not using memory via task manager?

When sql uses more than 2gb memory, task manager only shows memory used by sqlservr.exe program only. You have to look at perfmon to find out much memory used by sql engine.

Hey thanks I really appreceate it! Seems hard to find info like this in SQL documentation.
Go to Top of Page

djdanrt
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-11 : 05:37:36
Thanks for the info. Ive set the lock pages already. Got the Server set to min and max 20480mb. I havent set the AWE because its 64bit and should adress it without using AWE although its a bit confusing to why its even on the 64bit SQL.
Go to Top of Page

djdanrt
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-11 : 06:05:00
quote:

-ec

Total Server Memmory (KB) 46080
Target System Memory (KB) 20971520
Buffer Hit Ratio 98.600
Go to Top of Page

tosscrosby
Aged Yak Warrior

676 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-11 : 12:09:03
Did you try the suggestion by TRACEYSQL? Can the account running SQL lock pages in memory? You stated you thought it was something simple that was overlooked - this one got me once before!

Terry
Go to Top of Page

djdanrt
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-11 : 16:33:18
quote:
Originally posted by tosscrosby

Did you try the suggestion by TRACEYSQL? Can the account running SQL lock pages in memory? You stated you thought it was something simple that was overlooked - this one got me once before!

Terry

Yeh thats set and it shows in the log.

Its weird my 32bit 8gig sql standard edition just seems different, task manager avail memory seems to reflect what ive set the sql memory to.
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -