Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Database Optimization

Author  Topic 

Jhouston132
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-04 : 23:29:59
Hey guys,

My company is undertaking a database optimization project. Optimization the schema, the code, etc. I would like to ask, if you guys could help out, the following:

1. What risks are there? What are the pitfalls?

2. My company is hesitant to do a database freeze and stop all new development until our vendor (who's restructuring tables and changing database objects) has a stable database for us to obtain, then, and only then can we continue development on this newer copy. My question to this: how can we either reduce the database code freeze or work in parallel?

3. Can anyone point me to other sources of information? Another thread? A book? A URL?

Thanks a bunch!

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-05 : 02:10:39
When you mean risks , do you mean technical risks ? If you implement a methodology , which you apply rigorously then there a few risks.
Consider setting up a parallel environment with some realistic workloads .

There is loads of information dicussing optimization , a book I've just finished reading and is full of info is: Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - query tuning and optimization

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
Search IT jobs from multiple sources- http://www.ITjobfeed.com
Go to Top of Page

pravin14u
Posting Yak Master

246 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-05 : 02:22:18
Why do you want to do a database freeze?

You need make a copy of the existing db and can do the optimization. Once you are happy with the changes in the copy, you can transfer the changes to the LIVE db.

Prakash.P
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources!
Go to Top of Page

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-05 : 03:13:01
Make sure : 1)establish the end to end thresholds
2)test all changes

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
Search IT jobs from multiple sources- http://www.ITjobfeed.com
Go to Top of Page

Jhouston132
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-09 : 12:17:05
quote:
When you mean risks , do you mean technical risks ?

Yeap, I mean technical risks. I will look into your book further. Thanks!

quote:
Why do you want to do a database freeze?

Why the db freeze? Because the vendor says it will take 3 months to wrap up his job. In those 3 months, we will make many changes of db objects to the current database. Meaning that when the 3 months are up, we can't use that new db right away. We have to now make 3 months of changes workable on the vendor's database. What if then, it takes another 2 months (as opposed to 3 months) to apply those changes to the new database while there is still changes being done to the old database? Those 2 months or changes are implemented to the new database, and yet again it's not synchronized with the old because changes were still taking place.

The cycle would never stop.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -