Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 High Availability (2005)
 SQL FOC

Author  Topic 

Hitesh Shah
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-05 : 14:04:53
We have 2 node FOC .
We have created separate group for DTC (node1, node2) and SQL (node2,node1)

When I manually take SQL server group off line manually and bring it online again , it generates 'error 21 device not ready' in the eventvwr . However bringing online / offline activity succeeds . What does this mean . I can manually write data in the disks in the sql group .

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-05 : 14:06:41
What is FOC? be clear.
Go to Top of Page

Hitesh Shah
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-05 : 14:12:13
FailOver Cluster.
Go to Top of Page

sodeep

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-05 : 14:46:51
check this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244700
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-05 : 21:43:59
Does message mention which device?
Go to Top of Page

Hitesh Shah
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-06 : 23:53:47
more info.

1.We are not creating any msmq resourse.
2.While device not ready error comes it dows mention the resource name .
3. I can create any file manually on the same resource .
4. SQL server group and DTC group are on different nodes and not groups share any resource (which in fact is not possible also) .
Go to Top of Page

Hitesh Shah
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-07 : 00:38:42
Here is the message when I took SQL server group offline when no body was working for OLAP service .

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQLServerOLAPService
Event Category: (289)
Event ID: 10
Date: 4/7/2008
Time: 9:48:51 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SQLCLUS
Description:
An error occurred while closing the trace output file, \\?\F:\sqldata\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Log\FlightRecorderCurrent.trc.

Here is another error 21 at the same time for logwriters .

Event Source: MSSQLSERVER
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 5159
Time: 9:48:51 AM
Description:
Operating system error 21(The device is not ready.) on file "F:\sqldata\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\modellog.ldf" during CheckLogBlockReadComplete.

-------------
Event Source: MSSQLSERVER
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 9001
Time: 9:48:49 AM
Description:
The log for database 'tempdb' is not available. Check the event log for related error messages. Resolve any errors and restart the database.

But I can bring the resource online and i get informatonal logs . SQL protocol is named pipes .

Further I can create txt file and delete the same on shared storage f:\ .

Thanks in advance for ur valuable inputs .
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-07 : 23:52:01
Did you install sql on cluster properly? Looks like sql on second node can't access f:\ drive.
Go to Top of Page

Hitesh Shah
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-08 : 00:19:55
I am just taking the resource group offline and not moving the group.
I can create txt file on f:\ and delete the same on the same node .

Also as explained by u i moved the group to 2nd node and then created / deleted a text file on f:\.

Also I could browse the data in SMO when in control of another node.

Anything else u can think of . My SQL server group and DTC resource group are on different node .
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-08 : 23:22:00
It doesn't mean sql can do some as you did if you didn't set sql properly, and dtc is not related.
Go to Top of Page

Hitesh Shah
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-10 : 09:21:23
Further investigations revealed following .

1. In the error logs f:\ is showed as "\\f:" something like it .May be path is stored wrong somewhere in registry but it does not show up in cluster administration. Can I check.

2.Advanced property for SQL server network name has 'DNS registration must succeed" unchecked . According to me it must be checked .

3.While installing SQL server group , for specifying the I could not specify the private IP though I have private network configured (in fact there are 2 private network though cluster allows only one to be specified ) . For private network , role is internal communication only . Should it be mixed .

4. Service accounts and cluster admin accounts are different . Do I need to assign any specific path rights to cluster admin for SQL folders .
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-10 : 23:18:05
1. doesn't sound right, you need find out why.
3. sql instance can't listen on private address, it's for heartbeat only.
4. cluster service account should be local admin, it should have permission on all folders on the server.
Go to Top of Page

Hitesh Shah
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-11 : 00:16:23
Thanks for ur valuable guidance.

Re 2 can u tell what should be the value of DNS registration must succeed .It's set by SQL installation wizard only .

Re 3 I saw install docs (another one from MS only ) in which it showed the screen showing private IP to be specified besides the public.So is it necessary to provide private IP in installation process . In fact that private network interface didnt come in combo only.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-12 : 01:08:28
Don't remember dns option in installation.

If you are talking about sql configuration manager, yes it lists private ip address in tcp/ip properties. But sql never listen on that address.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -