Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 SQL Server or ORACLE DB - Where to go?

Author  Topic 

SweetoSyed
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-15 : 09:30:26
Friends,
I am working on a project to build a Web Based Education System. There are different modules like Online Admissions, Attendance, Assessment, Discussion Communities, Job Portals, and some of them are supposed to work offline (as desktop apps). I am planning to use ASP.NET (VB.NET) and SQL Server 2005. As in my view, it can be easily be hosted on some good hosting facility.
There is another colleague of mine, who works in Oracle / Developer. He and my Director IT are convinced that we should be using ORACLE for this whole Web Based Education System, and they provide no solid reason for doing so. However, They also believe that ultimately we have to shift all this stuff towards ASP.NET / SQL.
Can we have a discussion over here, as whats the good platform to go for such an application, what can be the disadvantages of using SQL or ORACLE, what problems can be faced while integration, and shifting towards ASP.NET after four/five months. And how it can be integrated if some desktop apps are developed in ORACLE/Developer, while web apps are in other platform.
This dialogue can help me in generating a report for the policy makers in this regard.

Thanks & Best Regards,

jezemine
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2886 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-15 : 11:56:19
why build it in oracle if you are planning to move towards ASP.NET and SQL? that makes no sense.

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

SweetoSyed
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-15 : 16:20:36
quote:
Originally posted by jezemine

why build it in oracle if you are planning to move towards ASP.NET and SQL? that makes no sense.

elsasoft.org

Thats something I am concerned about as well. And infact getting suspcious of the skills of Project Manager and Developer.
Go to Top of Page

tomnmoore
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-22 : 17:28:23
If you are really moving to SQL Server down the line and the timeframe really is < 12 months, there is no reason whatsoever to do the development twice, end of discussion.

The real measure is to get into the merits and pros/cons on various database features in regards to functionality, performance metrics of db's, ease of maintenance, etc. There are many factors that can weigh in on such a decision, none of which is doing it in one platform and redoing in another in such a short timeframe. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

m_k_s@hotmail.com
Insecure what ??

38 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-27 : 15:22:47
It sounds like your app is going to be relatively small-med. I would hazard to guess that SQL Server Express is more than enough to handle all the requirements. SQL Server Express is very functional and FREE... (I'm not sure, but I think Oracle may have a free version as well)

SQL Server is much easier to learn than Oracle. If you decide to purchase one of these, Oracle ends up being much more expensive, not only licensing, but also maintenance and support.

VS.NET works well with most DBMSs, but it works especially well with SQL Server.

Having said that, I can see the following reasons why the other parties may want to go with Oracle/Developer.
* the Sales Chick is hot and really wants to earn her commission.
* they get paid hourly or earn a commission off the development effort and want it to be expensive and time-consuming.
* They don't know how to use ASP.NET/SQL Server yet and are more comfortable with Oracle and want to get paid twice.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-27 : 20:04:43
Yes, Oracle's SqlLite is free.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -