Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Connection string differences in SQL 2005

Author  Topic 

Chipley
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-15 : 10:38:53
Hiya,

I'm a SQL n000b, and have just joined the forum 5 minutes ago seeking an answer to this problem that I've encountered. It seems that the way connection strings are handled in SQL 2005 have changed. This connection string used to work, but is now borked:

<add key="DBNAME.ConnectionString" value="packet size=4096;integrated security=SSPI;data source='sqlvirdev0035\dev35';persist security info=False;initial catalog=DBNAME;connection timeout=60" />

Has something explicitly changed in SQL 2005 that would break this <add key>? Does something need to be set server side in order to handle these connection strings now? I have no idea why this won't work anymore, I just know that it doesn't work.

Ty for any help,
~Chipley

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-15 : 10:43:49
Do you get any errors?

E 12°55'05.25"
N 56°04'39.16"
Go to Top of Page

Chipley
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-15 : 11:09:18
Hi Peso,

TY for the response. The error message I get follows:

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Error connecting to DataProvider -- > Can not connect to APP Database. ? Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
At System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHTTPClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage, message, WebResponse resonse, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
At System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
At APP.Client.DS.WS.APP.DataService.Connected()
At APP.Client.DS.WS.DataProvider_WS.Connect()
At APP.Client.US.InteractionLayer.VerifyCanConnectToDataProvider(ILoginViewer theLoginForm)

Where APP is our Client application and WS is our web service.
We're trying to connect to the db through a web service via a client interface, whcih worked perfectly before staging SQL 2005. We are hoping to use 2005 in Production, but first we need to figure out how to connect. :)

Chipley

Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-15 : 15:34:24
Is the data provider installed?
The error message indicates that it is not.

E 12°55'05.25"
N 56°04'39.16"
Go to Top of Page

Chipley
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-15 : 16:14:54
The Data Provider is installed, and I can connect to it via the DataService.asmx

/chipley racks brain, and puts SQL down for the night
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -