Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 High Availability (2005)
 Backup Failed

Author  Topic 

ksql32
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-16 : 10:32:36
I am running our CRM and, for the first time, tried running backups today. I'm getting the following error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
------------------------------

Backup failed for Server 'XXXXX'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.1399.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Backup+Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: An error occurred while processing 'BackupMetadata' metadata for database id 5 file id 65538. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.1399.00&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

This is our live database, so I have to be careful with what I do. Some googling hasn't really helped. dbcc shows nothing. I've since tried removing the full text catalogs (that's what the file_id references in sys.database_files), but the 65538 file_id remains. So, if anyone knows how I can get around this to backup my data, I'd love to know.

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-16 : 22:00:44
How did you backup db?
Go to Top of Page

ksql32
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-17 : 11:40:23
I've never been able to successfully backup this db. What I've done as a temporary fix is use the export db on the right click menu and created an entirely new db.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-17 : 22:27:19
Did you try with backup statement? Hard to help if you don't want to tell.
Go to Top of Page

ksql32
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-18 : 09:20:32
Sorry - I'm not trying to be overly secretive, I'm in new territory witht his problem and unsure what is going to be relevant. If I use just "backup database production," I get a similar error:

Msg 3636, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
An error occurred while processing 'BackupMetadata' metadata for database id 5 file id 65538.
Msg 3046, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Inconsistent metadata has been encountered. The only possible backup operation is a tail-log backup using the WITH CONTINUE_AFTER_ERROR or NO_TRUNCATE option.
Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

I get the same error if I use "backup database production WITH CONTINUE_AFTER_ERROR" which I wasn't expecting! I'm a little worried, as this is our live db and this is the first backup I've tried for it.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-19 : 17:23:41
Sounds the db is corrupted, run 'dbcc checkdb' to see what you get.
Go to Top of Page

ksql32
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-21 : 16:44:39
dbcc checkdb shows no errors. Some other background details that may be relevant:
I checked the location of the catalogs and noticed that the location doesn't exist on the server! That is probably a large part of the problem...
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-21 : 22:42:04
Enabled full text index in that db? If so, revome it then try backup again.
Go to Top of Page

ksql32
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-29 : 19:02:12
Alright. Everyone was out of the db tonight, so I had a chance to play again. I tried disabling full-text indexing and re-running, but I got the same error.

I also tried running the backup by dropping all the connections and NOT keeping full text indexes. After re-attaching, I'm still having the same problem.

Any other thoughts on this one? I appreciate the help!
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-29 : 22:17:20
You disabled full text index on the db? Whick service pack does it have?
Go to Top of Page

ksql32
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-30 : 08:57:14
It is SP2 - and if by disabling you mean going through the properties and disabling, then yes. If there is something else, then let me know.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-30 : 21:45:52
No, I mean drop full text index catalogy.
Go to Top of Page

ksql32
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-01 : 09:37:51
Ah ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. So I've dropped the catalogs now, but backing up still gives me the same error. Here are some other things I tried after I dropped the catalogs:
I've detached and reattached, again making sure to not keep the catalogs.
I tried taking the db offline, copying the files, and creating a new db off of these files. This still gives me the error with a new file_id.
I still see the files listed in sys.database_files (the four catalogs that existed are there; as well as the mdf and ldf files for the db) They also say they are still online in sys.database_files, which I didn't think was possible if I deleted them!
None of these items have worked yet...
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-01 : 22:52:43
Sounds bug. What's sql2k5 service pack level?
Go to Top of Page

ksql32
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-02 : 09:13:29
SQL is SP2, build 3790
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-03 : 20:16:29
Try post it in Microsoft newsgroup, MS support may tell you if it's known issue.
Go to Top of Page

ksql32
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-19 : 16:34:47
After much prodding, I finally did get this figured out. In case anyone else ever has this issue, here is what I did to solve my issue.

First, I had to turn full text indexing back on.
Second, my problem was that the files for full text searches were created in a location that no longer existed. So, I used the following statement to change where the indexes were looking and presto, I could backup data again.

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.fulltext_indexes fti WHERE fti.object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[table_name]'))

ALTER FULLTEXT INDEX ON [dbo].[table_name] DISABLE

GO

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.fulltext_indexes fti WHERE fti.object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[table_name]'))

DROP FULLTEXT INDEX ON [dbo].[table_name]

GO

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sysfulltextcatalogs ftc WHERE ftc.name = N'table_name')

DROP FULLTEXT CATALOG [table_name]

GO

CREATE FULLTEXT CATALOG [table_name]

IN PATH N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\FTData\'

AUTHORIZATION [dbo]

ALTER FULLTEXT INDEX ON [dbo].[table_name] ENABLE

GO

rmiao - thank you for your help! I got a lot of ideas from your comments, which led me to the proper solution.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-19 : 23:06:18
Glad to know you solved the issue.
Go to Top of Page

QasimRaza
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2008-08-15 : 04:36:22
Hi Every one,

I am getting similar problem while dropping full text catalog from sql server 2005. Database i currently using do not have fulltext Index option enbaled. Now I am trying to drop one of the catalog but when i run the statement
IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sysfulltextcatalogs ftc WHERE ftc.name = N'table_name')
DROP FULLTEXT CATALOG [catalog name]

it doesn't perform any thing even it stops showing me other catalogue from mgmt studio more over it show me error
message that
Lock Request time out period exceeded. (Microsoft Sql Server, Error 1222)

What basically i am trying to do is to drop this catalog and create it again. I have checked the table based on which this catalogue was created and there is no full text Index set for that table.

Can any one from your side help / suggest any thing on this??

Regards
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-16 : 18:25:11
Did you see that catalog in ssms? Is full text index enabled in that db? Tried drop catalog in ssms?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -