Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Foreign key from another table in a linked server

Author  Topic 

Peace2007
Posting Yak Master

239 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-19 : 00:54:08
Hi,

We're having a few linked servers in our company. some tables in one of the linked servers include columns (better saying, foreign keys) of tables in another server. I wonder if there's a way to create a foreign key referencing one column in another server. That is, suppose there's Column A in table A in Server A which references Column B in table B in server B, is there a way to create column A as foreign key referencing column B?

Any idea is appreciated.

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-19 : 01:05:41
I dont think you can enforce foreign key constraints in columns of tables referring column of another table in different server.
Go to Top of Page

Peace2007
Posting Yak Master

239 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-19 : 01:22:24
Thanks for the reply Visakh
I just wanna be sure that there's no way; however, my problem is that I'm asked to discover such references which are just defined programmatically and not in SQL server :-? Just thinking of how to discover that
Go to Top of Page

jezemine
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2886 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-19 : 02:00:08
you could do this with a trigger. a trigger that uses a cross server join.

note, however, that such a trigger on even a moderately busy table would bring your system to its knees.

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -