Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Stopping and starting SQL service on a Cluster

Author  Topic 

nickoconnor
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-24 : 03:59:20
hello everyone,

I wonder if you can help me with a problem I have trying to support a web based application that uses SQL 2005.

The problem is that the application developers tell me that it is neccessary to stop and restart the SQL service as part of the troubleshooting process when their application stops working. Unfortunately, the customer has our application database on a clustered SQL instance that is used by other applications so they cannot just stop and restart the SQL service because this will have a major impact on all the other instances...

Is there another way that would effectively do the same thing as stopping and restarting the SQL service? I have read that dettaching and re-attaching might do the same but application developers say onlt stopping/restarting services is sufficient to break the connection with the application.

Any advice would be really welcome as I am completely new to SQL and struggling with this!

Many thanks, Nick.

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-24 : 22:46:14
You can take the db offline then bring online.
Go to Top of Page

nickoconnor
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-25 : 03:27:34
Thanks rmiao!

Nick.
Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-28 : 05:03:46
just to verify and make it clear.. detach/attach will have the same effect with taking the database offline, since it will disconnect all existing connections to the database before it's detached or taken offline

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

nickoconnor
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-28 : 12:05:34
OK, thanks for your help Jen!

Nick.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-28 : 13:02:16
The application developers need to learn how to properly troubleshoot. You should not have to do this to resolve a problem. This shows their lack of experience with SQL Server troubleshooting. Restarting an instance/downing the database should be the absolute last step and it should be done only by a DBA.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -