Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Can not open Enterprise Manager

Author  Topic 

lw1990
Yak Posting Veteran

85 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-24 : 18:34:08
Hi,
By some reason, our server was down last night, I restarted the server this morning and clicked the "Enterprise Manager" to open the SQL Server as usual, I got an error message:

--------------------------------
Microsoft Management Console
---------------------------------------------------------
MMC cannot open the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN\SQL Server Enterprise Manager.MSC.

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

As I couldn't start the Enterprise Manager, I logout and loged back in the server as "Administrator", and I started the Enterprise Manager.

I was set to the server as administrator and I am the owner of the SQL Server, why I couldn't start the SQL Server by using my login name and must use "Administrator" to login?

Can I check something to make sure that I still have the Admin right? Or was the profile updated in the server?

Please provide any advise.

Thanks.

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-24 : 19:21:55
Is your login included in Admin groups?
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-24 : 21:27:55
It's windows permission issue. You can run mmc and add sql em in it.
Go to Top of Page

lw1990
Yak Posting Veteran

85 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-25 : 11:06:47
Thank you rmiao and sodeep.
Yes, my login is in the Administrators group.
And Microsoft SQL Servers (include 3 servers I created before) is in the Services and Applications of Computer Management.
I did installation SQL Server2000 SP4 since it happened, but it won't help, I still can not start the SQL Server EM from my login.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

sodeep

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-25 : 12:30:20
"MMC cannot open the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN\SQL Server Enterprise Manager.MSC."

Can't add Em as error indicates.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-25 : 21:51:56
Did you try what I told you? I had that problem and the work around did the job.
Go to Top of Page

JCAlexandres
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-30 : 08:56:38
Is the database server running? Check if the SQL service is running and that you can connect to the DBs with ODBC.

quote:
Originally posted by lw1990

Hi,
By some reason, our server was down last night, I restarted the server this morning and clicked the "Enterprise Manager" to open the SQL Server as usual, I got an error message:

--------------------------------
Microsoft Management Console
MMC cannot open the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN\SQL Server Enterprise Manager.MSC.

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

As I couldn't start the Enterprise Manager, I logout and loged back in the server as "Administrator", and I started the Enterprise Manager.

I was set to the server as administrator and I am the owner of the SQL Server, why I couldn't start the SQL Server by using my login name and must use "Administrator" to login?

Can I check something to make sure that I still have the Admin right? Or was the profile updated in the server?

Please provide any advise.

Thanks.

J.C. Alexandres
IT Professional
Go to Top of Page

Dany
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2008-07-10 : 05:38:15
i got this solution from net, and for me it worked fine
Please try this
1. Select Start - Run.
2. At the Open prompt enter: mmc
3. Click OK
4. Select File - Add/Remove Snap-in...
5. Click Add...
6. Select Microsoft SQL Enterprise Manager
7. Click Add, then Close
8. Click Ok to return to the mmc.
9. Select File - Save As...
10. Delete or rename the original (offending) file out the way.
11. Save the new msc file as C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN\SQL Server Enterprise Manager.MSC
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -