Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Recurring Order Entry

Author  Topic 

Nick
Posting Yak Master

155 Posts

Posted - 2001-10-28 : 10:19:00
Hello Again-

I'm desigining a DB for a medium sized manufacturing company. Right now they use a combination of badly designed spreadsheets.

One feature that they want the DB to have is the ability to look at order backlogs, and order scheduling. I can provide this ability by adding a due date to each order. The problem is that many of the orders they get come in the form of "100 parts starting on mm/dd/yyyy and 50 parts every week after until the balance of 1000 parts is met."

My initial thought was to have a products table, an orders table, and a n-to-n relation table between them. This should work (although I'm willing to take better suggestions.)

The problem comes with the order entry. I would like to do it via an ASP web page. My thought was to give the users a dropdown box with all of the part numbers. An initial shipment quantity and date text box. A dropdown box that allows for options such as every month, every week, every two weeks, and the total quantity requested.

I guess my real question is how would I write a stored procedure to take those inputs and enter into the orders_products table the correct info? Am I going at this the wrong way? Thanks in advance!

- Advertisement -