Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Getting one row from multiple rows

Author  Topic 

rahamanf
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-13 : 13:16:16
I have a Oracle table with columns like:

zone, plot, collection_start_date, collection_end_date, submit_date etc.
Each zone has multiple plots. Data collection is monthly but the start date can vary, depending on some factors.
For each zone and plot, there are multiple entries for the same month.

Here's what I need to do -
1) I need to comeup with one row for each zone, plot, month combination.
2) THe row should have the zone, plot, TO_CHAR(collection_start_date, 'MM') MONTH, TO_CHAR(collection_start_date, 'YYYY') YEAR, submit date, The difference between the submit_date and collection_start_date

The problem is multiple rows for the same month for a zone, plot and the collection_start_date varies for each row and i need to get the row based on this varied date field.

Any idea?
Thanks.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-13 : 13:17:01
You should post your question in an Oracle forum. This site is for Microsoft SQL Server.

There's an Oracle forum over at dbforums.com.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Database maintenance routines:
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/archive/2004/07/02/1705.aspx
Go to Top of Page

rahamanf
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-13 : 13:34:14
I'd be greatly helped if I get the SQL Server SQL (Tsql) for my problem.
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-13 : 13:41:46
If you want one row per zone, what should you display as submitdate & other fields? What are your business rules to determine them. When we group several rows for zone we will have different values for submit_date.
Go to Top of Page

rahamanf
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-13 : 14:06:24
I want distinct zone, plot and submit_date. This part itself is not a problem because remember - they are for the same month, and therefore, they have the same submit_date (all the data submitted as a single file for a zone,plot on monthly basis).

The problem is - the collection_start_date are different for the rows - even though they are for the same zone, plot, and have the same submit_date. Thats why we have multiple rows. Now I want to see if data is submitted for a zone/plot for a month. I need to use the collection_start_date because it's month value is the month for which data is submitted. So, I need to get a single collection_start_date value for my distinct zone, plot and submit_date.

See the problem?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-13 : 14:09:17
[code]select DISTINCT zone, plot, MONTH(collection_start_date) as Month, YEAR(collection_start_date) as Year, submit_date
from YourTable
[/code]
Go to Top of Page

rahamanf
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-13 : 16:08:36
Hi Visakh,

Thanks for your idea.
Here're more clear explanation of what I'm trying:

1) A table contains columns like - zone, plot, collection_start_date, submit_date etc. Data is submitted for each month as a single file that is loaded in the database, however, one zone/plot combination can have multiple records in the table each of which has different collection_start_date.
2) I want to create a table from the above that will have zone, plot, report_month(same month as collection_start_date's month), submit_date, ontime (yes/no or 1/0). Goal: to see whether data submitted was on time or not.
2) I want to create another table (Summary for zones). This table should have the following columns - zone, num_submitted_ontime, num_late, num_not_submitted.
Definition of ontime: 45 days from the 1st day of the collection_start_date's month

Any idea?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -