Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Where In The Restore Progress Am I?

Author  Topic 

sunliners81
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-30 : 09:22:21
Hello, we started a restore of a database that is just over 1.2 TB. It took 23 hours to complete the Copy Data Phase. Now, SQL Server continues to show the database in a Restoring state, however, there is no other indication of what SQL Server is doing. We do not have any way to see in which phase of the restore process SQL Server is in or how much time may be remaining. We do know that SQL Server is doing something because of the I/O activity. Its there a command, script, or other tool that we can use to determine where in the Restore process we are and how much time may be remaining? We did not use the WITH STATS = switch so that is out, and the sys.dm_exec_requests shows Percent_Complete is 100, however, we know that its not done, the Data Copy Phase has completed but the Severe is still churning.

Thanks, Clay

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-30 : 09:42:40
Did you restore with Norecovery or Recovery option? If the backup file was on network, then it will take long time.If you had Stat option you should be able to track the restore percentage.
Go to Top of Page

sunliners81
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-30 : 10:51:12
We did not set the NORECOVERY flag. In the Enterprise Manager, the database has gone from "Restoring" to "In Recovery". This restore started on 5/28 at 8:30 am and its now 5/30 at 10:30 am with the database showing that its state is "In Recovery" and with no way of determining an ETA for it coming online. That is the thing that has me disgruntle. Why is there not some way of see exactly what is taking place inside SQL Server?

Clay
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-02 : 23:09:28
Did you see restoring process in 'sp_who2 active'?
Go to Top of Page

mdubey
Posting Yak Master

133 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-03 : 14:38:53
I wnated to know first that "r u trying to restore from network or in the same server"? Did you try to use Litespeed?

Manoj
MCP, MCTS
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -