Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Sql Server Remote Connections error

Author  Topic 

scelamko
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

309 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-02 : 15:40:31
Guys,

I can connect the sql server instance through management studio and I can also create a DSN to the same sql server instance. But when the application tries to establish the connection i get the following error

I have checked the following

SQL BROWSER is started
TCP/IP default port 1434 is enabled

At this point I am not sure how to proceed further to trouble shoot this issue.

System.Exception: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Any suggestions and inputs would help.

Thanks

sqldba20
Posting Yak Master

183 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-02 : 16:31:14
Go to "All Programs->Microsoft SQL Server 2005->Configuration Tools->SQL Server Surface Area Configuration" Click "Surface Area Configuration For Services and Connections", Select "Remote Connections" and check if it is enabled for Local and Remote Connections and whether TCP/IP or named pipes of both......

Also, make sure you are passing the server name correctly.

run "select @@servername"
Go to Top of Page

mdubey
Posting Yak Master

133 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-03 : 12:03:27
Some times it may happened. But try to use TCP:servername or NP:servername. If thiswill also not work, Try with the IP address. Sometimes I have seen becuase of the DNS(Windows) issues you can be able to connect to the server with IP but not with the SERVER NAME.

Last but not least check with SELECT @@SERVERNAME.

Manoj
MCP, MCTS
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -