Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Linked ser ver with MS Access

Author  Topic 

CSK
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

489 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-03 : 15:25:39
Gurus,

While creating Linked server from SQl server to Ms access I am getting the following error

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
------------------------------

"The linked server has been created but failed a connection test. Do you want to keep the linked server?"

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "ACC".
OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "ACC" returned message
"The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '\\xxxx\xxxxxxxx\xxxxxx\REM_Prod.mdb'.
It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.".
(Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 7303)

But rem_prod.mdb is closed. I just created the Access database. There is no password and the shared directory is having full of read and write access. Can anyone suggest me where was the problem. or am i missing something..?

Thanks
Krishna

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-03 : 15:35:12
what did you put in location of datasource while setting up linked server?
Go to Top of Page

CSK

489 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-03 : 15:38:40
in datasource location i put this path \\SCLSC\Application\Database\REM_Prod.mdb
Go to Top of Page

sodeep

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-03 : 15:40:31
But you said its no more. Be more clear.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-03 : 15:58:13
Does sql service account have permission to access that file?
Go to Top of Page

CSK

489 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-03 : 16:14:14
Yes!! I got the solution !! Thanks for the reply rmiao

I hope I provided enough info in my previous post. Do any one fell that is not clear..?

-- Krishna.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -