Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 High Availability (2005)
 backup\restore strategy for critical issue

Author  Topic 

under2811
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

366 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-09 : 08:48:49
Hi
I have one query regarding backup\recovery startegy
hi

I have Db with simple recovery model.. recently i updated my column without where clause now i need to recover all my original state of that column..i just have idea @ set DB recovery model to Full then take full back up and then take differantial back up and then take transactional log back up and restore it as full , diff and then most recent transactional log back up...but still i didnt get original state of that table column...

please guide me

T.I.A

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-09 : 10:42:43
You have to have backups in place before you have a problem. Creating them after the data is messed up is too late.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

under2811

366 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-12 : 07:26:18
Hi,

What I am asking is that it is not possible to get my column data back by setting DB from simple recovery mode to bulk/full recovery model and do all back up steps??? or it shud always be in state of full/bulk recovery model to come up from this situation???

T.I.A
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-12 : 08:36:56
Unless you have a full backup from when the db was in simple recovery mode your data is lost. Changing the recovery model to full will only help for future situations like this...

--
Lumbago
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-12 : 08:42:14
It's like saying "Oh my...I just drowned because I didn't have a life jacket. But wait!! What if put my life jacket on right now, I'll just float to the top in no-time?? Oh...hm...that's right...I'm dead, too late I guess"

--
Lumbago
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-12 : 10:47:23
quote:
Originally posted by under2811

Hi,

What I am asking is that it is not possible to get my column data back by setting DB from simple recovery mode to bulk/full recovery model and do all back up steps??? or it shud always be in state of full/bulk recovery model to come up from this situation???

T.I.A

Are you asking for help on how to setup backups to prevent this from happening again, or how you can recover the data you already lost?

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

under2811

366 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-13 : 01:09:15
Hi,

All that mean is that for simple recovery model I have to have back up before any updates or if i have full/bulk recovery then i dont worry to lose data..:)

T.I.A
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-13 : 10:45:47
If you have simple Recovery model, you cannot backup transaction log backup while in Full recovery model you can backup tran log so you can recover point in time. You need check Recovery models in SQL Server.
Go to Top of Page

mdubey
Posting Yak Master

133 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-18 : 15:16:10
It might be possible if you are using SQL litespeed 3rd party tool.

Manoj
MCP, MCTS
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-18 : 15:26:33
quote:
Originally posted by mdubey

It might be possible if you are using SQL litespeed 3rd party tool.

SQL Litespeed does not provide magic features.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-19 : 02:29:59
I think there's a business potential here!! "SQL Magician 1.0 - your ultimate lifesaver"

- Lumbago
Go to Top of Page

Haywood
Posting Yak Master

221 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-19 : 12:29:09
quote:
Originally posted by Lumbago

I think there's a business potential here!! "SQL Magician 1.0 - your ultimate lifesaver"

- Lumbago

I tell people that when I finally figure out the "Magic Mind-Reader Trick" TM (you know, for those times when I am supposed to be pre-prepared for someone elses disaster/screwup/whateva) that I'm getting out of my DBA job and doing three shows a day in Vegas. ;)

And only three shows a day.
Go to Top of Page

shafi.spl
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-24 : 06:16:09
you are too late
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-24 : 12:37:12