Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 HOW TO CONNECT SQL OVER INTERNET

Author  Topic 

logie0726
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-17 : 07:58:20
Please help me connect sql server over internet. I tested the connection in Windows XP, SQL Sever 2000, Router (forwarding IP port 1433) and its is working properly.
But using the same process in Windows 2000 Advance Server, Microsoft SQL Server 2000, Router (forwarding IP port 1433) Im getting the error "Unable to connect to server" . Can any one help me to setup this network. Thank you in advance!

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-17 : 08:14:03
Did you have a look at this:-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175483.aspx
Go to Top of Page

logie0726
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-17 : 08:20:16
I'am new here... thank you visakh16. i'll check!
Go to Top of Page

logie0726
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-17 : 08:22:59
I already visited the site lately it did not help me. Iam connecting TO SQL VIA SQL ANALYSER! still error. thanks
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-21 : 18:06:20
Are win xp and win2k on same network? Tried connect to same sql server?
Go to Top of Page

logie0726
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-02 : 00:47:47
I already found the answer by my self. Here is the steps!

1. Open SQL Server Network Utility, set the TCP/IP Enabled and set a PORT to use.
2. If you have a Router (Port Forward the IP of your PC where your SQL Server is Installed)
3. Now if your Internet IP is STATIC (Use DDNS service of your router) and if your Internet IP is DYNAMIC (Proceed to next step)
4. Now after doing step 1-3 your SQL Server already has an internet connectivity so you must go to the Client PC from which you want to use (sample your server is Office PC and your client is your Home PC) OPEN "CLIENT NETWORK UTILITY"
5. Open Alias TAB, Click ADD, Enter your SERVER ALIAS (Any name you want to use)
6. In Network Libraries select TCP/IP
7. In Connection Parameters - Server name = (your servers internet IP address)
8. Click Dynamically determine port and ENTER THE PORT # (the port you set from router)
9. Basically where done... OPEN SQL Server Enterprise Manager then Register your DATABASE!

Hope this help Newbies a lot!
Go to Top of Page

afrika
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2706 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-02 : 04:20:41
quote:
Originally posted by logie0726

1. Open SQL Server Network Utility, set the TCP/IP Enabled and set a PORT to use.
2. If you have a Router (Port Forward the IP of your PC where your SQL Server is Installed)
3. Now if your Internet IP is STATIC (Use DDNS service of your router) and if your Internet IP is DYNAMIC (Proceed to next step)
4. Now after doing step 1-3 your SQL Server already has an internet connectivity so you must go to the Client PC from which you want to use (sample your server is Office PC and your client is your Home PC) OPEN "CLIENT NETWORK UTILITY"
5. Open Alias TAB, Click ADD, Enter your SERVER ALIAS (Any name you want to use)
8. Click Dynamically determine port and ENTER THE PORT # (the port you set from router)
9. Basically where done... OPEN SQL Server Enterprise Manager then Register your DATABASE!

there are many such examples in this forum.

Its even easier in 2005 and 2008. As you dont need to register the server. Just put in the IP address, port number and connect

Go to Top of Page

puneetaggarwal16
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2008-09-24 : 18:03:27
is there any need of DDNS if i am having a static ip?
I have one static ip. i want to know, will it work with only portforwarding in router...

quote:

Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-24 : 22:25:05
Yes. You have to configured your router / firewall to forward the correct port no. And your SQL Server should use static port

KH
[spoiler]Time is always against us[/spoiler]

Go to Top of Page

amolpadalkar
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-07 : 06:29:25
quote:

Go to Top of Page

amolpadalkar
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-07 : 06:31:28
You mentioned that open SQL server Enterprise Manager and then Register your Database.
I am new please tell me how to register database on client side

Thanx a lot
Go to Top of Page

dontulasrini
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-24 : 12:01:05
Hi
can u please send the processes which u done in sqlserver 2000 and xp
regards
srinivas.d
Go to Top of Page