Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 How do you handle Change Control

Author  Topic 

bogey
Posting Yak Master

166 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-19 : 08:07:16
I've posted a few questions on what we dba's let the developers do in a production database and the consensus seems to be not to let them issue DDL cmds e.g. create table, views ... This brings me to this question on how do you handle the developers requests for changes in a production database. If anyone is willing to post their requirements I'd really appreciate it. I'm thinking about a master excel sheet on that would contain fields for the request but I want to make sure I'm getting everything that I need.

Thanks in Advance

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-19 : 08:11:48
Actually you shouldn't give more rights to developers in Production box coz you will only be responsible for issue. Usually, We give all necessary rights in DEV Box and when they are ready to move in production box they have to go through Change Control Process which has to be approved .
Go to Top of Page

bogey
Posting Yak Master

166 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-19 : 08:21:23
quote:
Originally posted by sodeep
[ when they are ready to move in production box they have to go through Change Control Process which has to be approved .

This is what I'm looking into. What's the best way to handle this e.g. Fill out a form, submit it to dba ... have supervisors sign off ... ???
Go to Top of Page

AndrewMurphy

2916 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-19 : 08:50:33
Large amounts of untraceable cash under the table will help as well
Go to Top of Page

sodeep

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-19 : 08:52:51
quote:
Originally posted by bogey

quote:
Originally posted by sodeep
[ when they are ready to move in production box they have to go through Change Control Process which has to be approved .

This is what I'm looking into. What's the best way to handle this e.g. Fill out a form, submit it to dba ... have supervisors sign off ... ???

You are Right.
Go to Top of Page

mdubey
Posting Yak Master

133 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-19 : 10:17:23
Noone will provide full permission to Dev DBA. Everything which you are moving it to prod from Dev have to have Change Request (CR). Every Organization has there policies. Once CR got approved then only you may be able to change on PROD box. Supervisior and Management will see on the CR weather it tested on DEV/TEST/SIT/UAT server or not.If it is tested successfully on other boxes like DEV/TEST/SIT/UAT then only they will Approve it.

Manoj
MCP, MCTS
Go to Top of Page

bogey
Posting Yak Master

166 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-19 : 10:35:32
This is all great information and thank you very much but what I'm looking for is an outline of what should be submitted in doc format. Say for instance that we create a change management doc. What should we ask for?
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-19 : 10:59:09
quote:
Originally posted by bogey

This is all great information and thank you very much but what I'm looking for is an outline of what should be submitted in doc format. Say for instance that we create a change management doc. What should we ask for?

What's the nature of change like table creation,data population,stored procedure,trigger,.... The purpose behind the change i.e brief description of requirement that caused the change. Any additional information like dependency i.e whether this will be dependent on some other objects,...

In our organisation, we have a peer review stage which is done by senior developers which involves checking if code is written as per coding standards defined or code conforms to best practises. once they are happy, they will approve the request and it goes to DBAs. they will just look for impact of code on server to see if there are some resource intensive queries and if they find any they can reject the request. Otherwise they will apply change to db.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -