Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 New Computer; need advice

Author  Topic 

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-23 : 16:19:14
I'm in need of a new Desktop computer. It will be mostly for gaming, but also for graphic design and programming. I'll be going with Windows Vista 64-bit Home edition as the OS, but may later install Ubuntu on there as well.

I've found one computer that I'm interested in, but would like to consider other options.
HP Pavilion Elite m9250f Desktop PC <-- the one I've found (I get an employee discount through my job on all HP computers, so that's why I first checked out their site)

What I need as far as specs go are:
2.2+ GHz processor (2.8+ preferred)
4GB RAM (expandable to 8GB+)
decent graphics card...512MB+?
500+ GB HD
DVD burner (lightscribe/etc. are optional)
network capable (well, what computer isn't nowadays? lol.), wireless not necessary
1066MHz+ front bus speed

Any suggestions or thoughts as to what I can look into are appreciated :) (I'd consider a mac, but I need a good computer that I already know how to use at this point...lol)

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-23 : 16:29:12
Oooh, and price-range...I'd like to keep it under $1250 for the tower. I know, I ask a lot...lol. The HP tower I'm looking at is $1090.

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-26 : 14:20:08
aww, no takers...

jhocutt
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

385 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-26 : 14:49:29
Depends on if there is a Micro Center close by.
This one is only $700 and is in your spec range

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0290097

"God does not play dice" -- Albert Einstein
"Not only does God play dice, but he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen."
-- Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-26 : 17:29:41
Oh wow, that's exactly what I'm looking for. *grumbles* Sucks I live too far away, lol.

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-26 : 19:22:26
quote:
Originally posted by LTack

Oh wow, that's exactly what I'm looking for. *grumbles* Sucks I live too far away, lol.

They don't have FedEx or UPS where you live?

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-26 : 19:25:15
I only buy computers online. You can get some great deals and have the flexibility to configure it to your specs. Recently my brother got a new laptop. Based upon the reviews, prices, etc..., we went with an HP. I forget what deal they were offering that made us go with them instead of the other vendor we were looking at.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-26 : 19:46:51
MVJ - that particular computer is available in-store only :(

tkizer - I agree, I like going with online stores as well. Refurbished computers are much cheaper, too...I usually end up with one of them.

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-02 : 15:15:43
I found my computer. It's an HP m9350f. Lots of extra features I don't need (although I do like them!!), yet surpasses all of my requirements. I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival...July 7th!!

The computer comes with a HDTV tuner + the equivalent of TiVo. I'll actually have a TV now...dammit. I haven't had one in about 6 years...haven't watched one in about 10 years (excluding when I go to friends' houses...obviously unavoidable there). I'm going to be a zombie again...but I'll be a high-tech one at least! Fast forwarding through commercials, recording shows so I don't forget to watch them...

I just hit a new level of spoiled.

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-03 : 03:00:46
TV is great when you don't have to watch adverts. I now either record most things or watch it on demand or on catch up just so I don't have to watch adverts. Then again, we don't have quite as many as Americans, we have an advert break every 10-15 minutes, not every 5!

On Demand and one button recording is the way forward..
Go to Top of Page

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-03 : 07:37:10
Yeah, the commercials here are a bit unreal :(

Mooooving forward....now. :D

- Advertisement -