Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 SQL Server Configuration Manager--TCP Ports

Author  Topic 

private1010
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-29 : 19:59:33
Hi All
I have noticed one thing which could be a problem for some of the application running on SQL Server 2005. need bit of clarification

on SQL Server Configuration Manager when u click on [SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration]-- then --[Protocols for InstanceName]-- then -- it shows different protocols of that instance. when i go into the properties of TCP/IP under IP1,IP2 and IPAll on some of my servers it shows [TCP Port] but on some it shows [TCP Dynamic Ports] why is that? interestingly on one server it shows [TCP Port] but when that server got restarted [TCP Port] got another port number. i tried to connect to that server from my machine and it was throughing the error. because we didn't enabled SQL Browser we are using [TCP:InstanceName,Port] then i check the port numer and it was different.

please give me some clarification if any one has any clue.
Thanks in Advance

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-29 : 20:46:24
Named instance will use dynamic port number by default, but you can change that by specifying static port number in configuration manager.
Go to Top of Page

private1010
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-29 : 23:29:37
i installed SQL Server on both the boxes exactly same way but one got [TCP Port] and other got [TCP Dynamic Port].Then it means there is no difference in [TCP Port] and [TCP Dynamic Port] or there is? because on one server it shows [TCP Port] but port number changed after restart. sorry but i am bit confused between [TCP Port] and [TCP Dynamic Port].

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -