Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Cannot Open Backup Device. Operating System Error

Author  Topic 

gypo
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-03 : 14:20:02
Hi

I am having trouble trying to get MSSQL to backup to a network drive. This is the setup:
+ MSSQL on Windows Server 2003 logged in under Win Auth.
+ Shared drive on Vista desktop PC (although same issue happens on XP).
+ Server and PC are in the same workgroup (no domain only workgroup).
+ PC allows everyone full control to share.
+ Drive and folder can be navigated to through Windows Explorer without the need for a password ("Password protected sharing" is turned off).

The error I am getting is:
Cannot Open Backup Device 'path_to_file'. Operating system error 5(error not found).

Script being used:

BACKUP DATABASE [MyDB]
TO DISK = N'\\path_to_file\MyDBBackUp.BAK'
WITH NOFORMAT, INIT,
NAME = 'Full Database Backup',
SKIP, NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD, STATS = 10
GO

As the network is not on a domain, I can not explicity give the server user permission. None the less, the drive can be viewed/modified through Windows Explorer.

I've just noticed that while typing this post that the "MSSQLSERVER" service is running as "Local system account". Is it therefore likely that this local account does not have access to external resources? Should I be running the service with a non local account, for example an account that has Admin permissions?

Rob

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-03 : 14:23:47
Should be running in domain account.
Go to Top of Page

maninder
Posting Yak Master

100 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-03 : 23:13:19
yes check your credentials, also the remote drive Security. Add your Credentials to the Share or the username the JOB is RUnning under.

Maninder
Database Painter.. Leaving strokes, that amaze! and inreturn, put value to your Work. I am a Database [Architect / Administrator]
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-04 : 01:13:34
They are in workgroup. Try start sql services with regular windows account and give that account permission to access the share.
Go to Top of Page

gypo
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-04 : 12:51:46
Thanks everybody. Setting the service account to an appropriate windows account did the trick :)
Go to Top of Page

devpatel87
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-06-11 : 03:58:52
add Windows credential in Control Panel-->Credential Manager

solved in my case
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -