Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Replication (2005)
 Web Sync Replication - A Security Error occurred

Author  Topic 

Ken Blum
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

383 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-25 : 15:28:14
I have been testing Web Synchronization Replication here at may office and have not had any problems. I am now trying to initialize a subsciber that is off-site, and when I attempt to initialize the subscription I get "A Security Error Occurred - The Merge Agent could not connect to the URL during Web Synchronization."

This normally happens when the SSL Certificate has not been installed on the subscriber machine, but I have installed it. When I run the https://MyWebSite.com/My_Replication/replisapi.dll?diag from IE it shows SUCCESS for all tests and the certificate warning does not pop up - it only asks for the login name & password - which I have retyped into the subscription properties.

The server is Windows 2003 sever, SQL 2005 Standard, IIS 6.0, IE 7.

TIA,
Ken

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-26 : 19:17:34
Are they in same domain?
Go to Top of Page

Ken Blum

383 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-28 : 08:39:04
No. The IIS Server here at the office is in our DMZ and is obviously not part of the domain. The SQL Server is part of our domain and has connectivity to the IIS server. The server at the client is not part of our domain and will not be a part of our domain.

I tested web synchronization from my house (a different subscription) on my laptop and it worked. I logged in under a local user, so I was not logged in under our domain or have any VPN connection established. My laptop has WIN 2000 on it, and the remote sever has Win 2003 Server (no firewall). Could that be the issue?
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-28 : 22:35:35
When you logon via vpn, you are on same network with sql server. Does your client connect to your sql via vpn too?
Go to Top of Page

Ken Blum

383 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-29 : 08:10:42
No VPN. Using Web Synchronization over HTTPS.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-29 : 22:45:25
Then ensure sql port is open on both side.
Go to Top of Page

Ken Blum

383 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-14 : 09:10:56
The whole idea behind Web Synchronization is to perform replication over https port 443, and not have to open port 1433 over the firewall.

I eventually found out that the problem was that the SSL Certificate was being stored in the User Certificate Store, instead of the Computer Certificate Store on the subscriber machine. Since the agents are running under a computer account, this would fail. I am now replicating data over the internet without having to open any ports other than standard internet ports 443 (SSL HTTPS traffic) and port 80 (HTTP traffic, which could probably be closed also). Sweet!
Go to Top of Page

Jcomp
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2009-09-10 : 19:13:18
Hi Ken,

Sorry for offtopic, but I just to thank you for following post, I have the same problem, and thanks to you it is solved.

quote:
Originally posted by Ken Blum

The whole idea behind Web Synchronization is to perform replication over https port 443, and not have to open port 1433 over the firewall.

I eventually found out that the problem was that the SSL Certificate was being stored in the User Certificate Store, instead of the Computer Certificate Store on the subscriber machine. Since the agents are running under a computer account, this would fail. I am now replicating data over the internet without having to open any ports other than standard internet ports 443 (SSL HTTPS traffic) and port 80 (HTTP traffic, which could probably be closed also). Sweet!

Go to Top of Page

Ken Blum

383 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-11 : 13:23:00
No Problem!

Note that once you purchase a "real" certificate, like we have recently done, you don't need to install the certificate on the subscriber since it is automatically verified via the certificate authority that issued it.
Go to Top of Page

sudesh128
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-08 : 05:08:50
Hi Ken Blum

I have a same problem u got, but i cant configure my certificate as u say above. if u can plz help me
kssamapth@gmail.com

sudesh
Go to Top of Page

Ken Blum

383 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-08 : 11:44:23
Run MMC and Add the Ceritificates Snap-In. Make sure you select Computer Account, then import your certificate under the Trusted Root Certifcation Authorites.
Go to Top of Page

sudesh128
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-09 : 00:15:50
dear Ken Blum
on the client computer or on the server?
please give me the steps to do this

sudesh
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -